build a pc

vectradam 19:10 08 Oct 2009

how economically viable is it to build a reasonable spec desktop pc. it would be an interesting exercise for my 12 year old son. anyone know any useful sites or other information

many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 08 Oct 2009

Economically viable? not really nowadays but still a good learning experience.

click here and click here

MAT ALAN 19:34 08 Oct 2009

click here

Cheap...

OTT_Buzzard 19:41 08 Oct 2009

MAT ALAN: I would never have thougt of using a rabbit as a thermal warning system. Genius!

vectradam: Costs as Fruit Bat /\0/ says are not a reason to build yourself. Spend a long time learning what each of the components does what affects their performance.

You can get a motherboard, RAM, processor and hard drive combo that will work together. A slight tweak in the components and it might work brilliantly. That's the learning experience!

Terry Brown 19:51 08 Oct 2009

If you are building from scratch (Buying all components new, then it will work out about the same price or more than buying a commercial, plus you will not have any guarrantee.

Saying that-- If you have some components you could use from elsewhere, it would help.

Experience wise-- Build tour own computer, understand what each part does and it will help you later when you need to make repairs / upgrades.

I have been building /repairing computers since 1982 ( I started with Sinclair ZX81).
It is a lifetime hobby, as it is always changing.
Good Luck with your first build.

Suggestion:
1-- Always wear an anti-static strap when handing components
2--When fitting the Motherboard, remove the battery first.. There is less chance of shorting out the board.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017