Build or buying a gaming pc - Help

Zetra 23:19 24 Jun 2010

Hi all,
I’ve been looking for a gaming pc and I really need some help. I’ve tried configuring PCs on cyberpower & arbico but I don’t know what works best with what or what components i need and don’t need.

Here are the custom builds:
click here

click here

Ideally I would like a pc that can handle up to date games (& run MMORPGs smoothly), 3D programs and editing programs. Also one that wouldn’t be outdated in a few years that I can upgrade instead of having to buy a completely new one.

I’m working with a budget of £800 - £1000 but I’m not fussed if I end up paying a bit extra.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

johndrew 11:14 25 Jun 2010

One of your links fails to work for me, but I think you are asking a question which is difficult in that what one person finds acceptable another would reject.

Most high end gaming machines that "wouldn’t be outdated in a few years" will cost quite a bit more than the top figure you quote. Cheaper units may well be noisier as well.

Perhaps your best bet would be to look at a few more suppliers such as click here, consider what your real requirements are and then search the various sites to identify prices. If you have a decent computer store where you could try various models this may also help.

I also think the general opinion is that self build is not any cheaper than buying. Perhaps the major advantage would be that you could customise the build to exactly what you want.

Hope this helps.

gengiscant 12:42 25 Jun 2010

The first one not a bad spec,except I would put in a larger power supply.The graphics card can consume up to 188 watts under load.

Your second like equally nice, strange thing is that some of the parts are better,better PSU, better CPU cooler.

Both PC's will play the latest games very well. I personally would like, if i had to choose,a cross between the two.

yellowbird 13:20 25 Jun 2010

Both systems look quite good, i think the best thing to do would be to decide the spec you want and then ask various suppliers to qoute on it. There are so many suppliers to choose from so you want to look into what warranty they offer etc. I have bought all my previuos systems from click here

citadel 18:25 25 Jun 2010

a 650 quality psu, case with good cooling, 1156 motherboard, i7 860 cpu, 4g 1600 memory, hd5870, card. titan fenrir cpu cooler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache