bugs and worms

mr. h 18:15 04 Oct 2003

hi

I have trouble with the pc due to virus, have reloaded operating system now how choice of old set up or new on start up. Old files can't be accessed from new on start up, rather a mess. would like to start completely again from scratch. whats the best way, do I need to reformat the hard drive and clear everthing.

system spec:

windows xp professional
intel 2.8 P4 chip
80 mb hard drive partitioned c:20mb d:60mb (can i adjust the size of the partition) as well

cdb 18:26 04 Oct 2003

Which virus?

mr. h 18:28 04 Oct 2003

welchia, lovesan. not sure on the spelling

mr. h 23:36 04 Oct 2003

how do i format a hard drive and start again.

system spec: windows xp professional intel 2.8 P4 chip 80 mb hard drive partitioned c:20mb d:60mb (can i adjust the size of the partition) as well

keith-236785 23:39 04 Oct 2003

click here and click on the name of the virus you had, check to see if the virus is still on your system if so then download and run the removal tool.

dont forget to check drive d for the virus too,

to alter the partition size without the need to format or lose data, i would use partition magic although others are available.

if you have no data on your pc that you need to keep then you can run fdisk to alter the partition sizes (you will have to format the partitions before being able to use them so all data will be lost).

then i would format drive c: and re-install windows from scratch.

before you start i would suggest you click here and download a WINDOWS98 STARTUP DISK, put onto a floppy disk (you may need to unzip it first(easy with winxp pro)), also make sure you have written down things like the make and model of your Modem, Graphic card, sound card etc also the phone number, user name & password for your internet connection so you can set up a manual connection if needed after format.

good luck

Jester2K II 23:42 04 Oct 2003

To format and reinstall Windows XP from scratch just put your WinXP CD in the CD Drive, set the CD drive as the first bootable device in the BIOS and then start the PC. Follow screens to re-format and re-install.

Shame because if you asked us we could have got rid of the virus in 2 minutes.....

Jester2K II 23:49 04 Oct 2003

Oh and download the patch, copy to a floppy before you format. Its the first patch you might want to install when up and running. Stops the worm coming back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017