Bug in Windows Media Player 10 ?

Alan Ryan 17:32 08 Sep 2004

After installing the latest version of Windows Media Player (10), a Spybot scan alerted me to a change in the registry that is concerned with Client ID. This might be a monitor of the use that Media Player 10 gets which Microsoft might want to know about: or I suppose it might be a
"bug" that has infiltrated the download process.
I'm not sure whether to leave it alone and see what happens or to let Spybot get rid of it. Any advice please ?

Alan Ryan 17:55 08 Sep 2004

If the "bug" I described really was planted by Microsoft to keep tabs on how their Media Player 10 is being used - it would be better described as a "spy"

rawprawn 18:41 08 Sep 2004

I run Media Player 10, and Spybot with no problems.(XP SP2)

VoG II 18:45 08 Sep 2004

In Media Player, Tools/Options, Security tab and untick the usage data box.

Alan Ryan 19:09 08 Sep 2004

I've checked in Player/Tools/Options/Security Tab and none of the boxes are ticked - but I can't find one that is described as the Usage Data : I've looked at the entry in the registry that Spybot is "worried" about- and it's at
HKEY CurrentUser(Long ID number) Software/Microsoft/MediaPlayer/Player/Settings/
Client ID=
Nuot sure if I should let Spybot delete it. A scan using Lavasoft Ad-aware detects nothing to report.

VoG II 19:20 08 Sep 2004

Sorry, I meant Privacy tab.

Alan Ryan 19:28 08 Sep 2004

OK Thanks: rechecked the Privacy Tab can't decide which box you mean by "data usage". There are 4 in there and 3 of 'em are ticked but I'm not sure which is the box you are referring to ?

Alan Ryan 19:31 08 Sep 2004

Sorry in a hurry missed the box near the bottom of the Privacy Tab about data usage - but it wasn't ticked anyway.

CurlyWhirly 19:32 08 Sep 2004

I think VoG™ is refeering to unticking the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" box
CW

Alan Ryan 19:41 08 Sep 2004

Yes: I did find it when I looked more carefully - but as I said above, it wasn't ticked in any case.

bertiecharlie 20:12 08 Sep 2004

Alan.

Some general information about it click here although this doesn't specifically refer to WMP 10.

Tools/Options/Privacy untick the box "Send Unique Player ID to content providers."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?