Buffalo Wireless router and usb Adaptor

julius44 20:13 14 Mar 2008

Hello all, i'm hoping that i can get some help here. I'm a a virgin media broadband cable customer, and i have a 2mbps connetion with them. I have desktop....and previously i had a netgear wired router. I have now ordered a wireless buffalo 125mbps dsl router, from the following website

click here=

What i want to do when this router comes is to connect my desktop wirelessly, and i shall also be getting a laptop soon. I was told that i need to get a wireless usb adaptor to connect my desktop wirelessly. I would like to get advice on what kind of usb adaptot i need to get and whether its secure to go wirelessly with a destop, and also whether i'll need to get a Buffalo usb adaptor, as i've bought a buffalo router..or does it not matter?? thanks

Kemistri 20:23 14 Mar 2008

What matters is not the brand name but compatibility of protocols. There is no point in, say, investing in an 802.11n router and using it with clients whose wireless adapters only support 802.11g. You only state the speed of the router and not its protocol standard, so it could be a "pre-N" or "draft-N" version of 802.11n.

Don't use a wifi adapter unless it provides an obvious advantage -- Ethernet wins every time if there is no practical gain, such as a positional issue.

And please close your other thread -- duplicate postings are discouraged, for obvious reasons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017