+++ Buffalo 500gb external USB drive ++

pcdimwit 14:44 02 Nov 2010
Answered

I have just got a Buffalo 500gb external hard drive, it has installed perfectly on my windows XP laptop, however when I try and install it on my other laptop with Windows vista, it starts that "device driver install" icon in the system tray but when I click on "my computer" from the start menu I cant find the drive!! - the funny thing is that it DOES appear when I go into the "start" menu and then "control panel" and "system" and then in the "device manager" I can find the Buffalo USB drive called "HD-PVU2" BUT it wont show in the drives on "my computer" and its not possible to transfer data to the drive, any suggestions anyone??? thanks PCDIMWIT

Nontek 15:28 02 Nov 2010

Go to 'My Computer' and select Manage, then click on 'Disk Management' - right click the drive then choose Format. It should then show ok.

pcdimwit 15:39 02 Nov 2010

on this Vista computer I go into "computer" but cant find "manage" anywhere??? if I go into the device manager and click on "disk drives" it shows my USB sticks and the Buffalo drive, then if I right click it brings up the "install driver updates" "uninstall" "scan for changes..." and then "properties" in the properties it shows that "device is working properly" and there are a few tabs along the top for "general, policies, volums, driver & details" but even though it shows the buffalo driver is working it wont show the drive in along with the C & D and other USB drives in "computer" - PCDIMWIT

Nontek 15:58 02 Nov 2010

Sorry I was thinking XP still, not so familiar with Vista, but the solution I am sure is very similar. Needs someone who uses Vista - Good luck, pretty sure you will get it sorted soon.

The drive needs Formatting before it will show in My Computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 02 Nov 2010

Various fixes

In VISTA machine
Control Panel, Device Manager, and double-clicked on Disk Drives. If drive appears on the list double-clicked on it click on the Volumes tab, and then clicked the Populate button.
See if it then appears in My computer

In XP
Format the drive allocate a drive letter and also make it "active" it may then appear when ttached to the Vista machine.

pcdimwit 17:36 02 Nov 2010

have done that, it brings up the buffalo drive in the device manager and when I go into "populate" it shows its as a 470gb drive, and I click on OK but it still wont appear in the "computer" with the other drives, very weird!! PCDIMWIT

pcdimwit 07:45 03 Nov 2010

I'm not sure, will have to check on that, I think this could also be something to do with the "file associations" as well, because if I try and open an attachment in an e-mail instead of opening say a photoor document it will open my entire photo's folder, I hate these Vista computers!!!! XP is wonderful NEVER a problem in XP compared to this Vista OS. will get back on this, PCDIMWIT

pcdimwit 14:09 03 Nov 2010

it says in the control panel on "system" that its a 32 bit operating system on Windows Vista home basic, service pack 2, but I think it is also a 32 bit system on my Windows XP laptop which recognized the drive and set it up immediately with the wizard and all that sort of thing

pcdimwit 22:58 03 Nov 2010

Hi, its a windows 32 bit OS, It says in the "volumes" when I find the drive in device manager that there is a driver location but it isnt the same as the ones that show on the Buffalo link, do you think I should copy what it says in the Buffalo link about the usbstor.inf drive location and how would I "copy" it to the C drive?? Oh this is so complicated!! I am away tomorrow but have another Vista OS computer to use this buffalo drive to use with so I hope I dont have all this trouble again. Thanks PCDIMWIT

BRYNIT 23:02 03 Nov 2010

In disk Management did you remember to assign a drive letter to the drive.

pcdimwit 23:14 03 Nov 2010

I dont know how to do that?? when I plug the drive into the Vista computer it is "there" in the device manager but there is no way of finding it anywhere else, so what do I have to do to assign a drive letter to the drive?? It shows as F drive automatically on my XP computer. PCDIMWIT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?