BT Yahoo Pop-up Blocker

buggles 14:36 11 Feb 2006

I have discovered a wierd anomaly with the BT Yahoo browser Pop-up blocker. When I sign on with my user id to Windows XP Prof. the icon in the toolbar at the top says the pop-up blocker is off whereas everywhere else it says it's on. Also under the 'Tools' menu there is no option for the Pop-up blocker. If I sign on to Windows XP as another user, the option for Pop-up blocker is shown in the Tools menu and the icon displays correctly. As far as I know I only have one installation of this software and cannot understand why a core menu item should be missing for just one user. Although it is not a serious problem the software behaving like this, being new to XP, it is bugging me that I don't understand why. Mind you, the BT Yahoo helpdesk doesn't understand either. Can any one shed any light on the matter. Thank you.

igk 15:06 11 Feb 2006

If you are running with SP2 there may be a conflict with its own popup blocker,try disabling the sp2 one and see if that solves the problem..
Hope this helps..

buggles 15:50 11 Feb 2006

Thank you. I have tried this but I think that the BT Yahoo browser is a front end for IE functionality and actually uses the IE Pop-up blocker to achieve its ends. Interestingly though switching the Pop-up blocker on and off in the BT Yahoo browser does not seem to be refelected in IE. It's almost as though the link has been lost. I do run a program called Registry Mechanic from time to time and I wonder if some registry entry has been deleted at some point breaking the link.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?