BT Yahoo email - must BT be your ISP?

Pineman100 09:41 26 Mar 2010

This question relates to another that I asked yesterday about a friend who wants to stop using BT Internet as her ISP.

If she cancels her BT Internet broadband account, will she automatically lose her BT Yahoo webmail email account? Or can that email account continue indefinitely?

Her email address is my.friend>@btinternet.com

Many thanks for any advice.

Technotiger 09:59 26 Mar 2010

I think your friend will lose that account, but am not 100% certain.

She could in any case get a free hotmail account prior to such possible loss. Very easy to set up, and then export/import all her contacts, mails etc once set-up.

click here

jack 10:06 26 Mar 2010

And any ISP related links will go-
But the new ISP will offer similar facilities.
But the best way to go is to Yahoo/Google Web Mail direct and advise your friends through the new Web account

daveeb 10:38 26 Mar 2010

I've been using bt yahoo webmail (basic) for years and it's at least 6 or 7 years since I stopped using BT internet.

Pineman100 12:21 26 Mar 2010

TT - thanks for the Hotmail suggestion, but my friend already has a Google mail account. If BT does cancel her BT Yahoo acount, she'll move to that one.

jack - I'm sure you'r right that cancelling an ISP account will normally lose you that ISP's services, but I have a feeling that it is possible to have a BT Yahoo webmail account without being a BT Internet customer.

daveeb - did you use BT Yahoo webmail while you were a BT Internet customer, and then continue seamlessly using it after you moved to another ISP?

I'm trying to discover whether the act of cancelling your BT Internet broadband subscription makes BT cancel your BT Yahoo webmail account.

Pineman100 14:46 27 Mar 2010

^

beeuuem 15:11 27 Mar 2010

I would think you can keep the account.
I have a btinternet and btopenworld mail account and have never used BT as my ISP.

Pineman100 15:16 27 Mar 2010

Are those two accounts the same thing as a BT Yahoo webmail account?

anchor 15:20 27 Mar 2010

Some years ago I used BT for my dial-up anytime ISP, but long since I changed to another ISP for ADSL.

I dial-up and briefly log in to BT about once a month, and this keeps my BT mail address active. Whether the same would apply in you case, I am unsure.

Pineman100 15:28 27 Mar 2010

Thanks, anchor.

palinka 11:19 28 Mar 2010

I have a yahoo account ([email protected]) but my ISP is not btinternet - never has been and never will be!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017