BT Wireless Hub 1800HG Lack of range

StewartDesson 11:02 12 Nov 2005

I have the BT Wirelss Hub 1800HG. It works fine with my first PC with ethernet cabel. My second PC uses wirleless and only works if it is the same room (which is uselss). It needs to work upstairs for my children.

BT tell me my walls are too thick or may have metal in. They did not seem to knowlefdgabe or have any other ideas than 'knock the wall down' (not a good idea as its my house).

Do you know how long an ethernet cabel can go before the perfomance deteroriates? I could run 30 feet of ethernet cable through a wall to make it work.

Or I could run 10 feet from the PC upstairs with my wirless adapter and have it appear in the top corner of my room downstairs?

Or is there a third option to get some sort of booster to the wireless transmitor?

Thank you in advance for your help, Stewert

De Marcus™ 11:17 12 Nov 2005

You can run ethernet cable up to 100 metres if memopry serves. If I were you I'd try locating the router in different positions or rooms to see if I could find a better signal before splashing out on booster aerials.

De Marcus™ 11:17 12 Nov 2005

memopry? Memory.

StewartDesson 11:25 12 Nov 2005

Thats very helpful De Marcus.

To move the router, i would need to get a telephone extension cabel and I imagine that can go 100m as well?

I will try it in a different room - thanks, Stewart

De Marcus™ 11:57 12 Nov 2005

I don't know about the telephone extension cable, but my first thoughts would be to put the router midway between the wireless machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?