BT Voyager 2091

prb 23:06 03 Jan 2007

I've recently installed a BT voyager 2091 to connect destktop and laptop together and to internet using ADSL broadband.

Desktop is running XP service pack 2
Laptop XP Media centre

Both machines connect fine to the internet, but aren't able to 'see' each other. Folders and printers are set up for sharing, and using the Windows wireless network setup I had everything working fine on Monday night. Turned on last night and computers couldn't find each other, and have spent all tonight trying to work them together. Have tried turning Firewalls off temporarily but with no success, and have rerun the wireless networking several times now!

Any help gratefully received!

Ashrich 20:20 04 Jan 2007

You want to run the Network wizard , not the Wireless Network one , make sure both of them are on the same network , it defaults to Mshome , and give each machine it's own name ( such as " laptop1 or Office etc. ) It may say about other Networking items you have are not connected , click on " ignore unconnected items , or however it is worded .

Ashley

prb 21:38 04 Jan 2007

Thanks Ashley - they are both now indicating that they are on the Mshome workgroup, but still unable to view the machines... apparently I don't have admin rights to open the network connection, but since both computers only have 1 user set up on them, the one user automatically should have admin rights (or so I thought) is there any way I can check what level of permissions I have?

Ashrich 22:02 04 Jan 2007

I suppose the best thing to do is to go into User Settings and create an Administrator account for yourself , then boot into it and delete your old account , reboot and enter your password and try again ...

Ashley

prb 23:08 04 Jan 2007

Thanks Ashley - have now solved it whilst Windows firewall was set to allow access, I also had Zonealarm installed on the desktop PC. I've turned Zonealarm off, and everything now works... which leads me onto the next question, is Windows firewall sufficient security, and do I need zonealarm or another firewall as well?

Ashrich 20:46 05 Jan 2007

You can only run one firewall at a time on a PC , as you are behind a router you might as well use the Windows one for now .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?