BT Total Broadband Option 3 , sync keeps changing

woofwoofbark 21:23 08 Apr 2007

Hi , Last year I signed to BT Total and from the off my BT Hub showed I was syncing at 8128 Downstream but over the past week the internet seemed slow , I know it slows at peak times but its been slowing in the wee small hours also ... so Ive been monitoring my Hub and its been throwing out different sync stats ... right now its saying 5472 Downstream , earlier this morning it was 6137 .... and it has droped to around 4000 lately too. :/

Does anyone know what could be causing this ? Since Last july when I singed it has always been 8128 Kbps dowsnstream with 448 Upstream , the upstream has never changed though.

Im wondering what I can try to get the sync back to 8128 , or is it possible ?

Thanks for comment or any advice

whitburn_lad

woofwoofbark 21:26 08 Apr 2007

I restarted and also reset to factory condition to see if that helped , but apparently not...

here are the stats from the hub

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:39:55

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,472

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.26 / 42.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.5 / 26.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 20.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 21 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,432

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 48

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 14

whitburn_lad

woofwoofbark 21:33 08 Apr 2007

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5472 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4161 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Dipso 21:45 08 Apr 2007

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 20.0

Your downstream noise margin is currently 20 which is why you're only getting a low sync. This does tend to happen after a line becomes unstable and is the BT kit's way of stabilizing your line.

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

This loss of signal suggests your problems may be caused by internal wiring problems. Have you changed anything to do with your set up, moved your router or changed telephones? I would check out your wiring as per this tutorial click here in any case.

The bad news is that it could take some time for you to get your 8128 sync back.

woofwoofbark 22:03 08 Apr 2007

Ive added a dect phone to the livingroom and have been confused as how to setup the filters , ive got sky tv in the livingroom also .... Ive noticed that when im viewing my sky account through the digiboz that when my phone rings and i answer the digibox connection is thrown off and I hear beeps and tones from the phone???

this seems to be the problem!

how do I properly set sky and the dect phone to work together ?

I never knew that this could affect the broadband speeds , thanks to your info I do now

Anymore info/advice how to setup properly will be most welcomed

thanks

whitburn_lad

Dipso 22:22 08 Apr 2007

Is the Sky hardwired into the phone line or do you just have it plugged in? Do you actually have to have the Sky connected? I don't have it connected unless I need to order pay per view but I am outside the first 12 months of the contract when it is mandatory.

Basically you need to have every device Sky, telephones, faxes etc. connected through a filter or they will cause interference with your broadband, as you have seen.

Do you have filters connected to either at the moment?

woofwoofbark 22:29 08 Apr 2007

Yes my sky is wired with the cable sky provided , it connects to the back of the digibox and to a filter , sky have always said to keep connected so that all programme and channel updates will happen automatically and wont go through if the line isnt connected to the box ....

Here is my setup for the livingroom .....

The extension cable end behind the tv , I have fitted a filter , ontop of the filter is a 4-way connector with 3 filters attached to it , my phone is plugged into one filter and sky the other.
I can tell its not setup properly because thats why im getting the beeps/tones with sky and phone both active at the same time ?

Any ideas how the setup should be ?

Thanks again for your input so far

whitburn_lad

woofwoofbark 22:32 08 Apr 2007

meant to say - only 2 filters fitted to the 4-way connector

Dipso 22:44 08 Apr 2007

You should only need to filter the phone socket end of the extension as far as I'm aware. Then use the 4 way connector at the end and plug the phone and Sky into that. Try that and see if things improve.

FWIW your Sky box still updates even if it's not connected to the phone line...it updates through the dish.

Dipso 21:53 17 Apr 2007

Did you ever resolve this geo...i mean whitburn_ lad ;)

bretsky 22:20 17 Apr 2007

Bookmarked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone