BT Total Broadband 8mbs

brambles 10:34 14 Sep 2006

I have just signed for upgrade to Total Broadband 8Mbs from existing 2Mbs.
The contract includes a BT Broadband Voyager 220v router. My main PC is not wireless enabled.
Can I connect the router to the main phone point in the house so effectively it is in isolation then (using a USB wireless adapter) connect wirelessly to my main PC in study?

Other than that I assume I would connect the ethernet cable/modem/pc in the study but would still have to use a long extension to connect to the phone point in hall.

Finally - if my daughter brings her modern Toshiba laptop round can she obtain an Internet connection without any networking or access to my shared files?

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Brambles

Strawballs 10:56 14 Sep 2006

Yes to both questions but you wil proberbly need to connect to the router by wire to set it up then disconnect and go wireless, you could do that with your daughters laptop to save trailing wire, don't forget to setup encryption then all you will have to do is let your daughters Laptop detect your network and enter your encrption keyword. It is easy to do just follow instructions in routers hand book and use WPA not WEP

brambles 11:53 14 Sep 2006

Strawballs - many thanks for your kind and prompt answer.

Brambles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?