BT throttling customers broadband line speeds?

karmgord 23:30 07 Aug 2008

my ZEN broadband speed has dropped from around 2mbps to only 512kbps ,on checking the line condition with BT line checker it confirms the line will only support only 0.5mbps where as previously it DEFINATELY repoted that my line was capable of 2.5mbps,has anyone else had problems?

check you line tonight at:

click here

MCE2K5 23:42 07 Aug 2008

Test 1: With your Link 6.5 Mbps (Megabits per second).

Test 2: with click here 6848Kbps

rdave13 00:39 08 Aug 2008

Phone BT and say you have 'crackling sound' when you use the Phone and sometimes it's so bad you can't hear the caller properly.

rawprawn 07:50 08 Aug 2008

karmgord

Be very careful if you use rdave13's advice. If Bt are called out and the fault is not in the land line or the first mains socket for which they are responsible. They charge around £100 for the call out and about the same each hour after.
I called them out when I was with Tiscali because of crackling on the phone, and got a bill for £187
After checking the main socket and line to the exchange they said they were not responsible for the fault.

Covergirl 08:03 08 Aug 2008

That BT line checker only tells you what your postcode can recieve at from a table of preset values.

An actual speed checker like MCE2K5s will upload and download files to actually check what you are getting.

So I'm at work, BT reports 512kbps (rural area), Skyuser reports 18.5MBPS Tiscali 17-18MBPS.

Faffingwaste 09:54 08 Aug 2008

I'm absolutely certain BT throttles as and when it feels like if your ISP (like mine) is dependent on BT's network and you can't use cable as an alternative.

My line speed always and unfailingly drops every day after 6pm. I've given up complaining to BT about it because they insist there's a fault at my end.

Yeah. Right. My internet connection set-up has an in-built alarm clock which rings every day between 5.45pm and 6pm and says, ah, look, it's time to mess up this user's line speed.

As for ringing BT about line 'crackles' and such, please take note of earlier posts here.

BT, as is the way with any other greedy monopoly, sought to maximise its directors' bonuses with the wizard wheeze of BT Openreach, which effectively hived off the BT engineering side into a separate profit centre.

Having spent a small fortune on pretty logos and repainting all the BT vans, the company is now in the enviable position of being able to say (when a consumer complains) 'ah, you'll need BT Openreach', and of course when you talk to them, they'll advise they're only too happy to attend providing you realise the (extortionate) call-out costs must be met by you if they don't find a fault.

Well; do they? It's certainly not in BT Openreach's interests to find a fault in their own equipment. The profit is going to come from you. And quite how you go about proving it's their fault, not yours, I've no idea.

The sooner BT's monopoly is broken up the better. But it won't be, so that's that.

Covergirl 12:27 08 Aug 2008

A very small number of customers use Peer to Peer or file sharing software, which constantly sends and receives video and other very large files, throughout the day. This type of activity uses a lot of bandwidth and can significantly reduce the speed at which other customers can access the internet during peak hours. Approximately 1% of customers use more than 30% of the available bandwidth during peak hours. We don't believe this is fair to the vast majority of our customers.

This fair usage policy automatically identifies the very small number of extremely heavy users and manages their bandwidth only during peak hours (6pm to 11pm Monday to Sunday), to protect the service for all our other customers. Outside peak hours, the use of the internet by these heavy users is unaffected.

We think this is the fairest approach. It protects the quality of service for the vast majority of our customers when they most use the service, while at the same time allowing the extremely heavy users to continue to send and receive without restriction outside of peak hours

Karmgord
Maybe you have been identified as an "extremely heavy user" (para 2)?

Maybe it's just the contention ratio ?

My speed drops during the evening when everyone else is connected. I reckon everyones does, no matter who you're with.

I think there's only so much capacity for each connection each ISP has - when 20 people try to access a 20MBPS connection, everyone gets 1MBPS.

karmgord 19:50 08 Aug 2008

Firstly i've got capped 5gig usuage that i nowhere near use but secondly i pay more than the market rate for my Zen broadband connection BUT IT's WORTH EVERY PENNY when you have a problem,you can talk to somebody in England who speaks perfectly understandable English who does n't read from a script,when I explained the symptoms of the problem they identified it as as a BT line fault and dealt with BT on my behalf and now the problems not only solved but my speed is FASTER than ever,WELL DONE Zen!

Dendmar 11:09 09 Aug 2008

The reason your internet connection slows down in the evening is purely caused by all the other people getting on to the Net when they get home from work. The Band width available is limited by the copper cables and the contention ratio (number of subscribers that can be on at the same time). Unfortunately, until BT replace the cables with fibre optics we're all stuck in the same boat. Out of interest I and all my friends get exactly the same symtoms as you.

karmgord 17:31 09 Aug 2008

I don't think it was a traffic volume or contention issue as after Zen got onto BTs case the line not only went back up to previously speed but FASTER,when i had the problem the speed was stuck at around 500kbps at ALL times of the day

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?