BT say BB speed is 512

swapper 17:16 30 Dec 2006

My friend is wanting to get broadband.
Cable TV has not been installed in his area.
and it seems that Sky bb is not one of the best.

We looked on the internet for the other options and found that BT can only offer a land line speed of 512 to his particular post code at this time.

If this is so, does this apply to all other providers also (apart from Sky)

Any comments on Sky BB please?

surfmonkey #:@}© 17:20 30 Dec 2006

phone tiscali and get a line speed test done its free 0800 1079000 if not most isp home pages have a line test when u go to sign up with them

rodriguez 17:28 30 Dec 2006

I don't really need to repeat my comments on Sky broadband, there are a few threads by me on this forum about my experience/problems/"oh god please help me" to give a general idea about how I've found the service. All other comments would just be against forum rules to the extreme. All I can say about it is new ISP + lots of new customers signing up = disaster. Look at the Talk Talk fiasco when their free broadband service started. Some Sky broadband packages aren't free, but they're cheap and it attracts a lot of people. Now I think they're having problems sharing the bandwidth out among everyone which causes connection problems. Maybe in a year or two it will improve, but for now you should consider an ISP that's been going for a while. Also, you could follow surfmonkey's advice and phone up a few ISPs and see if they can give you a free speed test on your line so you get an idea of what speed to expect.

pcbobby 18:48 30 Dec 2006

As mentioned above, Tiscali is one option.

In my area, due to BT exchange, I can only get Tiscali 512kbps broadband, which includes free weekend calls for £12.99.per month.

Their customer service is not very fast.

Not sure what other ISPs have to offer, but seek and you shall find.

Border View 22:37 30 Dec 2006

Try having a look at this web site click here From there you will be able to find out availability of speed and ISPs etc.

Dipso 22:19 31 Dec 2006

Ask Sam click here and see what he says. If BT Wholesale's ADSL Max is not available at your friends exchange then he's stuck with 512 unless one of the LLU service providers services are avaiable, Sky, Be, Bulldog, Talk Talk etc.

If ADSL Max is available and the estimated speed is given as 512, take it with a pinch of salt. The BT checker which provides this information is very unreliable and it's possible that he could get much higher speeds than those estimated.

swapper 09:05 01 Jan 2007

Thank you all for the input, I will pass this on.

Happy new year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone