bt phone bill and rogur dialler

pookie 13:43 23 Jul 2004

hi

brother just called. a dialler must have installed on his dial up connection. he got his phone bill and there are 0900 telephone numbers coming to £48.

does he have to pay this or can he argue anything with bt?

cheers

P

€dstowe 13:47 23 Jul 2004

In the current delivery of BT phone bills there is a booklet in which part is devoted to rogue diallers. It explains their position.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:50 23 Jul 2004

He can Argue but will probably end up paying

Bt will say me is responsible for ensuring outgoing calls including diallers.

He can ask them to block O900 numbers to prevent further instances.

Better to run these three spyware dialler blockers in conjuntion
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

pookie 13:59 23 Jul 2004

many thanks guys and have a good weekend

P

ventanas 14:04 23 Jul 2004

This program click here will inform you if your pc tries to dial any other than permitted numbers. The site is in German, but will install in English. I'm also usure if it is still free.

€dstowe 14:52 23 Jul 2004

The dialer-control on your click here has been subject to some sort of outside interference I think and completely messes up the machines it is installed on or if you try to install it.

One of my staff had to do a complete re-install recently after dialer-control told him to update to a new version. He tried again and same thing happened. Note: he re-installed from a backup!

€d

Bapou 16:31 23 Jul 2004

BT's advice on Dialler scams:click here

TBH1 16:37 23 Jul 2004

I think the best thing to do, unless you do a lot of voting on "Big Brother" (perish the thought), is to get BT to barr all premium rate numbers.

ventanas 17:00 23 Jul 2004

Do you mean that someone has "hacked," for want of a better word, the current version?

I've been using it for quite a while without any problem at all. I'm also sure that others on this forum use it as well.

I didn't get informed of any updates because I turned the option off. It had become a repetitive nuisance, always asking me to check. Looks like I may have had a lucky break by doing this. I will make sure I leave well alone, and stick with the one I am using.

ventanas 17:05 23 Jul 2004

Sorry, just realised - bad time to post. You'll be in the middle of cakes and wine now won't you. :-))

uskfisherman 20:42 23 Jul 2004

I had the same problem with rougue dialling. I got bt to bar premium rate calls, and installed the German Prog Dialer Control by coolspot. Like others it worked well until I was invited to download an updated version which is on trial for you to purchase a license later. I had terrible trouble once I did this, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the free prog. I then made sure I didnt fall for the update. From that date this prog has worked really well.Norton Firewall will also pick it up and gives you the option of blocking the attempt to dial out initiated by Coolspot. Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?