BT Openworld Broadband connection drops

domino12 12:37 02 Jul 2003

My 'always on' connection drops at irregular intervals. I use an alcotel modem and when it drops I get just one of the lights flashing. I can't find the cause..I even did a format and clean install and with no other software on it still dropped.

BT don't appear able to fix this. They've done line checks etc. Is this 'normal'? Have others got the same problem? Is this as good as it gets? Has anyone found a fix?

I would be grateful for any help or comments.

I'm using XP SP1.

Thancks in advance.

katedi 13:00 02 Jul 2003

Hi domino12
I dont have the answer but ours does the same. It seems to work fine for most of the morning but starts dropping in the afternoon and gets more frequent in the evening. I thought it was my new laptop and had the USB ports checked by higrade, but this is not the problem.

BT also have done a line check.

I wondered if time played a part, when the exchange bandwidth got overloaded (ie afternoons and evenings) whether a human or "auto" hand killed connections to reduce the load...
regards
kate

domino12 13:14 02 Jul 2003

Hi Kate sorry you are also suffering. If BT are doing what you suggest they will never admit it.

I would try another service but of course they all use the same lines and exchange.

Having no control over the re-set is frustrating but I have found that if I use my telephone, by the time I've dialed and am connected the BB connection has reset. So one might think that the problem is connected to the filters or the telephone but I've had them both replaced twice without result.

Perhaps other contributors can help us both.

Thankyou for responding

BillEmm 13:28 02 Jul 2003

Problems of this nature are normally PC related. Occasionally the BT Exchange can be faulted and very unusually it can be a server problem but ISPs will, normally, admit to the latter.

domino12, you don't say which modem you are using. Alcatel is the chipset though many makes have the name included. For example: Thomson ADSL Alcatel SpeedTouch USB.

If your modem is a SpeedTouch USB then it is important that you install the drivers and the device exactly as specified in the instructions. Also check that you have the latest drivers installed.

USB ADSL modems are power hungry and are best connected via a mains powered hub. For USB 1.1 ports I recommend one of the following: Belkin F5U101, Belkin F5U021 or Lindy 32889 Smart Hub Pro..

There are many reasons for loss of connection but I suggest you start with the most commonly required tweak:

click here

Just for starters.

Bill

domino12 13:38 02 Jul 2003

Thankyou for that Bill - yes I'm using the alcatel modem you mention. Also I do use a self powered hub.

However thankyou for the signpost to the tweaks page - I will give it a go.

Regards

BillEmm 20:12 02 Jul 2003

The hub should be dedicated to the modem.

PPS. Ensure that there are no more than four devices connected to the telephone line and that every other telephonic device is protected by a filter, including fax machines, digital TV boxes etc.

Bill

domino12 21:21 02 Jul 2003

I've just had a conversation with the man at help desk. He pointed me to this sight:

click here

Instead of upgrading he said to download the 2.01 file for windows - not the upgrade from the site. He also said to uninstall my old software in add/remove, unplug the modem, then install the downloaded file and plug the modem in again.

So far its been stable - fingers crossed.

Kate this might help you.

Bill I did as you suggested and got an increase in speed taking me well up to standard. Again Thankyou

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone