BT Master Socket - Lines 2,3, and 5 - Speed boost

TipX 17:04 13 Jan 2008

I've spent ages this afternoon searching forums and websites and remain unsure. Please help.

I have 'up to 8 Mbps' ADSL broadband, but am currently only connecting at 864 kbps and have been since moving the PC to beside the BT Master Socket. Higher speeds were obtained through extensions upstairs (2.0 Mbps and 1.1 Mbps) in various incarnations of my home office (same ISP). I have removed the plate from my BT Master Socket and connected the modem straight into the test socket via a good quality modem cable with no microfilter and obtained a connection speed of 4.8 Mbps!!. From my reading, apparently this indicates a problem with my internal wiring and cutting line 3 on the faceplate will help reduce interference.

Is this true, or just hopeful short term vandalism? I have read as many web posting saying yay as nay to whether this is a good idea.

I cannot leave the faceplate off and use the test socket permanently as I have small children with small fingers.

Fingees 17:11 13 Jan 2008

Get a really good filter, as they do vary.

I personally wouldn't cut any wires on the faceplate, or your telephone will probably not ring.
Apart from the fact you are not supposed to alter it.

There are so many variables thet can slow it down even the time when you checked.

TipX 17:30 13 Jan 2008

Thanks for getting back.

The wire I would be cutting would be on the removable faceplate (and therefore only affect my extensions) rather than behind the test socket which is where the responsibility/legality of BT ends.

I use a cordless phone as my only phone, so the ringer wire will be an issue in a (rare) power cut - but if the upside is faster broadband year round?...

Fingees 17:51 13 Jan 2008

I'm not 100% sure which wire does what nowadays, but you still have to have the ringer voltage on the ringer line to activate your phone to ring if this is the one you remove, it wont work.

Just a point.

All the best

piddletrenthide 18:08 13 Jan 2008

I had a similar problem last year with poor speeds to the internal extensions. The reference I finally ran down -dslzoneuk.net - was categoric that the only wires that should be connected on internal extensions were to terminals 2 and 5. I had also had 3 and 4 wired up and cutting these at the extension connector gave a dramatic increase in speed with no problems. (The ringers still worked.

Daveboy 18:10 13 Jan 2008

you can go ahead and remove the ringer from terminal 3, this will reduce induction by the unmatched wire. Your phones will continue to ring as you must have a filter before it and this contains a capacitor that will pass the ringing current to the telephone.

Mad Mick 18:14 13 Jan 2008

The Extension wiring only needs wires 2 and 5 to be connected.
1 and 6 has never been used in the UK. 3 and 4 are the old ring wires which are no longer required as the micro filters you have in each outlet take their place.

Mad Mick 18:16 13 Jan 2008

Sorry Daveboy. I have just noticed your post.

TipX 18:27 13 Jan 2008

Thanks for this guys - sounds pretty unanimous.

Cut line 3 and ensure I use filters with any and all connected phones and modems.

Can I just check that it is sufficient to simply do this at the master socket and not in each extension as I have read elsewhere? Presumably if I kill it at source then the remainder just becomes a redundant metal whether it is connected or not?

Daveboy 18:51 13 Jan 2008

Correct, remove from master will be sufficient - assuming you do not have any "teed" wiring supplying extns before the master.
BT now fit a bell wire filter plate to their nte5A type master that overcomes the necessity to remove the wire.

TipX 19:00 13 Jan 2008

Brilliant - cheers. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires