BT line and ISPs

RoA 16:33 23 Oct 2006

I am currently having a problem with a non-functioning ('error 721') FreeserveWanadoo/Orange broadband connection. The Orange helpline is costing me a fortune and seems unable to solve the problem. I have had a BT line test and apparently there is a problem which Orange tell me is down to BT. Due to Orange's inability to either sort the problem or get BT to, I am considering cancelling the account and moving to another ISP. A couple of basic questions:
1. If there is a problem with the line will it just be affecting me or is anybody else out there suffering this? (some reference has been made to a 'migration' to a new server on 13th October.)
2. Is the problem likely to be just with the Orange/BT setup? (i.e. I could move to another provider.)
Any help or advice gratefully received.

johnnyrocker 16:39 23 Oct 2006

if you are going to move ask orange for a mac code, this may prompt them to do something, if not ring your new choice of isp with the mac code and changing isp is likely to solve it. you could always go to bt to sign up which means they would have to resolve the prob in order to get you working.

johnny.

spuds 16:51 23 Oct 2006

If you have a 'dodgy' BT interconnecting line, then this would effect any other ISP also. Sometimes, there can be a local problem, and some of your neighbours could be having similar problems, try consulting them.

You may be able to gain some information, by trying click here

At the end of the day, if your service provider is not providing a service, then you may have cause for concern and possible solution via The Supply of Goods and Services Act

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?