BT Internet speed

Graham. 19:57 03 Feb 2009

Just migrated to BT internet today. I was getting download speed of 9+ Mbps with Sky, now only getting 0.7 Mbps with BT (on thinkbroadband), on an up to 8 Mbps package.

I know it needs time to settle down, but this does seem awfully slow.

Technotiger 20:02 03 Feb 2009

It can take up to 10 days, but usually more like just a couple of days to settle down.

How did you test your speed? IMHO this is the best speed-checker click here

If you give it a go, be patient, it takes a couple of minutes.

Graham. 21:44 03 Feb 2009

8128 kbps using your link. I used click here

Technotiger 21:52 03 Feb 2009

Just used your link - shows my speed as just 25% of what it is - total rubbish!

Technotiger 21:56 03 Feb 2009

I am guessing you have the BTHome Hub Version 2.0, if so, I would expect your speed to increase a bit over the next few days.

Try again each day for the next week, checking your speed using my link.

MAJ 22:02 03 Feb 2009

Most of the speedtesters results should be taken with a pinch of salt, you want real world download speed readings. The best way to see what you're usably getting is to download a large file from somewhere and take an average of the download speed. Filehippo usually lets you download at reasonable speeds. Try downloading AVG from there click here see what speed you're getting, remembering that if it downloads at 1MB per second, your BT line speed is 8 Mbits/s, if it downloads at 500KB per second, your BT line speed is 4Mbits/s. Of course it will vary according to the time of day and the load on Filehippo's servers, but it will give you an idea.

brundle 22:04 03 Feb 2009

Non Java/Javascript download test which precisely what MAJ says above; click here

Graham. 22:43 03 Feb 2009

1362.7 Kbps using your link.

RobCharles1981 00:22 04 Feb 2009

Graham

Post your full line stats will you?

RobCharles1981 00:23 04 Feb 2009

BT
Home Hub There is a page within the router GUI that displays the line stats. Click the link below.

click here.

Alternatively, click the link below:

click here

Click on Broadband Connection on the left of the main screen, choose DSL Connection and finally choose Details at the top right of the page.

Muergo 06:55 04 Feb 2009

If you have switched from SKY then lots to look at, my situation is- long way from exchange, signal carried by wires on poles, long length of old extension cable from entry socket to modem lots of other historical extensions going all over the house. I was getting less than one Mbit! but my ISP tweaked at exchange to give me 1.5Mb, I also fitted I plate (£5) to master socket and ensured filters on everything, finally disconnected Sky telephone link.
I am told this is the best that can be done under the conditions I have.
Waiting for better weather then will rejig system so modem and wireless router are right next to inlet socket.
You could move house to be next to exchange?? my son easily gets 8mb but didn't deliberately move for this reason.

I am happy in my semi rural idyll only 25miles from London and just watch the birdies out of the window while the PC grinds slowly on.
As was said "in Windows Secrets" when things go wrong, as they certainly will, don't lose your temper as it only damages you and your blood pressure.
muergo (bet you don't know what one of those is!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?