BT internet mails disappeared

rezbot 12:27 01 Jul 2010

Hello

Ok where to start. I have just had my laptop reinstalled after install we set up a windows mail account ( i used to use MS outlook )

for some reason that didn't send any emails so we reverted back to MS outlook. Anyway after we solved this I noticed that all my mail that was in my account have gone when contacting BT they did remote and said " you have changed your SMTP settings and because of this all the emails that you had in your inbox have gone apart from the ones that have been sent since the new install"

Not only have i lost everything personal but all my business emails also.

can anyone advise me in what to do next ?

I would like to add that my emails were there in the browser sign in and not they are not. For some reason they have all gone now and they are not in the trash

Sea Urchin 12:51 01 Jul 2010

Did you backup and keep all your emails before you did the re-install? The re-install will clear EVERYTHING from your laptop.

Sea Urchin 12:53 01 Jul 2010

By the way - changing your SMTP settings would not cause your mail to disappear - but it would mean that you couldn't send emails.

rezbot 00:39 02 Jul 2010

We never backed up any of the outlook emails as we totally forgot. As for the smtp settings this is what I was told today when I called BT to ask if they could help me in any way

What is getting me is all of my inbox that was stored on their server ( logging in through the browser ) have also gone and from what I can figure out from the guy that I spoke to they are gone also he said this was due to me changing my SMTP settings

mgmcc 09:16 02 Jul 2010

Are you sure it wasn't IMAP settings which were changed?

Unlike POP3 where all mail is downloaded to your own PC, with IMAP the messages remain on the mail host's server and your email program "synchronises" with the IMAP server.

If, after the Laptop was reinstalled, you sync'd the email program with the IMAP server, the effect might have been to empty the Inbox on the IMAP server because there were now no messages in the Laptop's copy.

Do you have another computer with the messages still in? If so, WITHOUT connecting to the mail server, create a new folder in your email program and copy the messages you need to retain into it.

rezbot 10:05 02 Jul 2010

Unfortunately i don't have another computer that was used to check and send mail. I think I might just have to just accept the fact that all my mail is now gone and count this a lesson learned.

I'm going to get in contact with BT once again and see what they say.

Thank you again for all your comments and suggestions it has been much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?