BT Home Hub problem

woofwoofbark 16:20 06 Dec 2006

Hi , Im having trouble with my BT Home Hub , it disconnects numerous times a day grr , I tried BT desktop help to ask for assistance and they couldnt help , they gave me the number for BT Technical Help , BT India ??? lol I tried to explain that I have 1 computer thats connected to the Home Hub through 1 ethernet cable , I dont use the wireless facility ... the guy at BT India said that my wireless connection was the trouble and too move me hub away from other electrical appliances and that would stop the disconnections ????? im scottish and the scottish and i know some people have trouble with my accent but for him not to understand that I dont use the wireless is a joke ......

anyway , with the hub connected to my only computer through ethernet cable , will this still cause disconnections ... i cant move the hub to far , the ethernet cable is around 2m long , ive moved the micro system and lamp which were sitting next to it , now the hub sits alone on my bedside table. hopefully this will help

help please

NotSoTechnical

Dipso 16:47 06 Dec 2006

Some electrical devices can cause interference on your phone line and therefore cause dopouts in somecases.

In my case plugging a DECT phone charger and the router charger into an extension and locating it away from the master socket reduced the interference on my line.

Using a good quality active filter rather than a cheap one can also help cut out interference.

It's hard to tell if that's what's happening to you without more info. Post your line stats click here

woofwoofbark 17:01 06 Dec 2006

Hi Dipso and thanks for the quick reply ... I have copied and pasted the Hubs line stats , are they ok , or ? my hub disconnected around an or or so ago.

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:55:27

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 60.94 / 234.20

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.5 / 25.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 11.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 9 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8

Dipso 17:08 06 Dec 2006

You have very similar stats to me. A low downstream attenuation and a healthy downstream SNR. If interference is your problem it must be something quite noisy. Do you have filters on all your phones, Sky, fax machines, alarm system?

Try and watch how low your DS SNR gets before disconnecting. It would have to be below 6 to cut off.

I've seen a couple of other posts on here complaining about disconnections like this with the Home Hub, unfortunately it's not got a great reputation. You could try using different hardware and see if the problem persists.

steven_frost 23:04 06 Dec 2006

I have been having the same problems broadband dropped every time the phone rang after a week of them saying their was no fault guess what a fault was found after an eng came out and looked at the line outside my house you have to keep on at them for them to push it any further it is worth it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?