BT Home Hub, My Lap Top and 802.11g or n

Jonah(without the whale) 20:57 02 Feb 2009

I have ordered a BT Home Hub (from BT) and I suppose I will be getting version 2.0.
I shall wire my desk to to it direct, but my portable laptop (I was advised) needs an adaptor - a BT Voyager 1065, but this is type 802.11g and I think the HH is 802.11n
Furthermore a BT 1055 is a USB adapter. This also seems to be for 802.11g
I think my laptop will not accept the 1065 - no slot for it, so I want to know:
will HH 2.0 be able to connect with 1055 must be be or 1065 (especially when the diference is price)
Is the difference between 802.11g asnd 802.11n critical?
Hellllllllllllllllllllp please.

Switcher 21:17 02 Feb 2009

An "N" router will work with a "G" adapter but at "G" performance level.

Jonah(without the whale) 21:24 02 Feb 2009

Hich switcher.
Thanks for such a quick response.
I understood your reply to be that I it's OK to get the USB adaptor (as ooppsed th the other ine which won't fit anyway)to plug into my laptop and it will work!
So, should I expect the response to be significantly slower?
Cheers

ventanas 21:24 02 Feb 2009

The BT hub version 2.0 is definitely N, I have one. And very nice it is too.
I replaced my old G adaptor with a new N, but it cost nearly £60.
The claim is for ten times faster communication, but how do you check.
I also have a laptop with a built in G adaptor. I cannot see any noticeable difference in the two.

Jonah(without the whale) 21:30 02 Feb 2009

Hi Ventanas
That's interetsing and useful, especially to someone like me who hasn't a clue and indeed has been misled by B - although the bloke was helpful, he obviously did not have all the facts.
I was told a USB adaptor would not be any good for a laptop , and yet, better reading of the BT shop description says it will be! Then I can up eith th G and N thing. No wonder I am confused.
Thanks each for taking the trouble to respond.
Cheers

ventanas 21:43 02 Feb 2009

If your laptop is not already wireless enabled a USB adapter will do fine. Just be careful if you move the laptop, they do stick out a bit.
By the way G adapters are a lot cheaper than N.

Jonah(without the whale) 21:47 02 Feb 2009

Hi Ventanas

Brilliant advice.

Many thanks to you and to Switcher

gazzaho 22:13 02 Feb 2009

From the reading I've done the maximum theoretical speed for 802.11g is 54Mbps, roughly half that of a wired connection, the 802.11n standard is supposed to bring wireless in line with wired connections with a theoretical connection speed of 108Mbps.

In truth for normal web surfing 802.11g would be fine, you might run into problems with lag if you play MMORPG games online or stream movies over the wireless connection however.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

mooly 11:35 03 Feb 2009

Surely the broadband connection speed is the limiting factor here... you'll never get close to 54Mbits down the wire anway.

Switcher 11:54 03 Feb 2009

The only benefit you are likely to notice by using an "N" daptor with an "N" router would be greater range. Your "N" router and "G" adaptor will be fine.

Technotiger 12:12 03 Feb 2009

I agree with the other guys, a USB adapter will work fine with the laptop. I have used one in conjunction with my BT Hub Version 2.0, which incidentally, actually more than Doubled my Download speed by comparison to my previous BT Hub Version 1.5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?