BT Home Hub internet issues with Vista

tuwongfu 11:00 11 Sep 2007

I have just got BT Total Broadband with the Home Hub and am trying to get it to work with all my PC's

My issue is that both the Vista machines will connect to the internet for a while then get "Local Access Only" after anything from 2days to 2hours.

Both machines connect via wireless and ethernet and get the Local Access thing. If I hard reset the hub the machine works for about a day, if I just swap from wireless to ether then i get a couple of hours internet.

Heres the kicker, both my XP machines work completely fine with no fuss or issues.

I am not using the BT software just letting windows control the access.

The setup in my house is HH, Belkin Wireless router and a Hub. It goes from The HH to the hub then to my main PC to get direct connection to HH then from the Hub to the Belkin to get wireless to the top floors. This setup works for all XP machines.

I dont know where to go from here or what to check!!!

ambra4 11:12 11 Sep 2007

Windows might be turning off your network adapter to save power.

Turn off the power-saving option in the network adapter's properties

Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button-Control Panel-Network and Internet

Click Network and Sharing Centre-Manage network connections.

Right-click the connection, and then click Properties.

Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the Networking tab, click Configure.

On the Power Management tab, clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box

Click OK.

tuwongfu 12:31 11 Sep 2007

I didnt think of that one, will try it when home. But just in case it alters anything. The connection is dropping off mid use and sometimes in the middle of a download.

mgmcc 20:55 11 Sep 2007

If you haven't already done so, disable "TCP/IP version 6" in Windows Vista, but leave "version 4" as it is. TCP/IPv6 might just be causing problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?