BT Home Hub Interference on Cordless Phone

flyguy2 09:44 07 Dec 2006

Since setting up the BT Home Hub, there has been bad interference on our BT cordless phone. We have checked and swapped the microfilters to no effect. The hub is working fine as is our wireless connection. We have phoned the utterly useless BT help line in India who seem just to read from a sheet with no real knowledge of the subject. It would not be so bad if the call was free, but 1 hour @ 4p a minute was robbery!
I suspect that we need to change the frequency/channel of the hub.
Any help and advice from you good folks out there would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Technotiger 10:01 07 Dec 2006

Hi, just a thought here - do you have any other phones in the house, each must have it's own filter, this also includes other items such as Fax/Answering machines and even Digital Set-top boxes.

flyguy2 10:29 07 Dec 2006

Many thanks Technotiger, that was helpful, but we only have the one cordless phone and answering machine combined, with two handsets. When one of the handsets is taken 50' away the interference on this handset is much reduced. However the interference on the handset on the answering machine which is only 2' away from the hub is so bad as to render it useless. Because of practical reasons we cannot move them any farther apart.
We have borrowed my son's phone and plugged it in in place of the existing one and there is no interference on it.
Since the cordless phone is a BT model about 3 years old, we guess that both it and the hub are on the same frequency.
Surely there must be a way of changing the hub's frequency/channel?

Technotiger 10:33 07 Dec 2006

Hmm, not being familiar with the BT Hub, I am sorry I can't help you with frequencies - I am on BT BB, but I use a Modem/Router for my home network.

I expect someone else here will come up with more suggestions.

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 07 Dec 2006

To do this you need to change to administrator at the hub. Easy as long as you are not using IE7. It often refuses to accept log-on.

click here password list

username admin password dmin is the ones used most often.

IE7 can also cause an PSAPI.DLL error message on startup relating to smartbridge.

flyguy2 11:45 07 Dec 2006

Many thanks Fruit Bat for that info, that sounds just the ticket. I will try it out when next I'm at the Hub location (Oxfordshire). At the moment I'm in Manchester for a few days, so I will leave the question open until I get back to try it.
If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear from you.
Thanks again Fruit Bat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?