BT Home Hub Installation With Vista

LeeManc 17:43 30 May 2007

Hi

I've just got a new Vista laptop, and I've been trying to install the BT Home Hub.

I phoned BT because I read that the CD with the hub won't work with Vista, so BT phoned me back to try and help me install it, but over an hour later it still wouldn't work, it didn't help things that I couldn't understand the person trying to help me, sadly BT are one of the companies with their call centre in India and its just a nightmare.

So if you've got any ideas or the full process that I could follow it would be appreciated, and if you could make it as simple as possible that would be even better, I know bits about PC's but at times I do get a bit lost!

i used vista with a home hub connected via the ethernet connection, worked fine, never used any of the bt software, just connect it via ethernet cable, plug it all in, when the lights stay steady you should be connected, if you have no joy, type your ip address in the address bar and a window will provide a connect button, also check, never dial a connect and auto detect are checked on your internet options.

postie24 19:20 30 May 2007
  Kaz_Girl 22:54 30 May 2007

I also had problems with BT support, whn setting ub total broadband, they activated my line but didn't send me thewelcome pack (software disc, manual, homehub etc) so I just connected up an old usb speedtouch adsl modem I had spare from a prior broadband supplier, and then created a new network connection from Network and Sharing Centre, following the steps in the wizard and entering my BT username and p/word that I had chosen when applying for broadband, changed the dialing settings for the modem settings to dial 0,38 and then connected no problem, setup my e-mail in add new accounts in Windows Mail, using mail.btinternet.com as both pop and smtp servers, with my username and password, and it all worked like a charm.

2 weeks latr my welcome pack and homehub arrived, I turned off the computer unplugged the speedtouch modem and then restarted, uninstalled all thye speedtouch software using add remove programs from control panel, re-started again, then used the BT Disc to install the homehub, after connecting all the necessary cables, the only thing that didn't install from the disc was the BTBoadband Helpdesk utility they provide, and that they still havn't fixed for vista...o just go ahead and use the disc. I tried speaking to BT Support about the disc issue as well but it was a farce with some YODA type comments coming form the other end of the line, classic example was "Miss Phillips here to help you I am, PROBLEM FIXED NOW IS??? When I hadn't even told her what the problem was at that point.....lol....I'm not racist or anything, in fact but they do have a strange dialect to the untrained ear, fortunately I frequently enjoy a goo indian meal and often ahve a good laugh with the waiters, so can normally pick u on what the BT Support staff r trying to say, it's getting them to understand me that the problem lies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone