BT Home Hub & HDD

Mikera 15:17 22 Oct 2009

Hi All, I'm having difficulty using my HDD as a destination location for my Back-ups. I have connected it to the hub via the USB-A port and I can 'see' it via Windows Explorer and I can copy/open files OK. However when I try to set it up as the back-up location, I receive the following error message after entering the User Name and password as requested by the BT Hub - 'The network share could not be acccessed for the following reason: No mapping between account name & security IDs was done, (0x80070534). Please ensure that the network is valid'. Can anyone help please. I'm running Vista Home Premium, but I get the same scenario from my laptop which is running XP Home. The BT Home Hub is a 'white', I beleive it's either V1 or V1.5, s/w version 6.2.6H. Cheers, Mike

T0SH 19:57 22 Oct 2009

To use a hard drive connected to the usb1 port on the home hub is at best agonisingly slow, from memory it shows up best if you create a new workgroup named BT on each of the sharing PC`s

There is more info available here in the USB ports section

click here

Cheers HC

Mikera 22:49 28 Oct 2009

Hi All & TOSH, This seems to be a difficult one to solve. I also 'posted' on another forum specific to BT Home Hubs, again very little response. So I have connected the HDD back onto my desktop PC and worked through the 'sharing' options in Windows Vista & XP. And it works!!! Only small issue is that the desktop has to be 'on' at the time when I want to backup the laptop etc - no big problem. I have also set up my printer for 'sharing' too. Keep up the good work. Cheers, mikera.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?