BT Home Hub - Firewall settings

matt-few 14:12 14 Jan 2008

I have set up a simple wireless network using my BT Home Hub. My software firewall is part of F-Secure Internet Security. Although a great product and highly recommended, it has limited user intervention. Despite finding out how to change the settings from F/S, it still is difficult to access the other machine.

I am currently using Windows XP firewall. However, I have been told by a friend I may be able to configure my hub to allow traffic from certain 192.168.*.* addresses.

I have phoned BT and spoke to a chap overseas who knew less about the hub than I did.

Can anyone else help?

Many thanks
Matt

brundle 14:15 14 Jan 2008
  brundle 14:22 14 Jan 2008

Allow the range of IP addresses supplied by the hub, I don't know what it defaults to but if you go to your internet connection properties, find out what your machine's IP address is. Enter the first three digits of the address as part of your allowed range, the fourth digit is your actual IP range, set the software to allow 1-253 for example.
Eg if your PC has been allocated 192.168.0.1, set the range to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.253.

matt-few 14:39 14 Jan 2008

Thanks brundle. The link above has much more information on it than F-Secure gave me on Saturday. Prior to your second message, I set to 192.168.1.1 to 80 as most of my connections (whether I use a wired connection, the laptop wireless kit or wireless card in laptop), the ip address are all using in the 60's.

Although it didn't work immediately, after leaving both machines for a couple of minutes, everything is working great again.

Thanks again

Matt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?