BT Home Hub expert tech support

bythor 10:08 15 Oct 2006

Just upgraded to the BTHomeHub from their Voyager 205 (which worked fine), tha advantages are two ethernet ports and wireless connectivity. I used to connect my printer and laptop via a netgear witch and into the voyager. It doesn't want to work on the home hub, although direct connection to the home hub and th elaptop is ok. I just called the 'BT Broadband tech support team'. "Yes, Sir. I am happy to assist you in connecting your laptop to BTHHub". 'No, I don't yet have wireless on the laptop, so I need to use the cable connection via the switch'. "Yes, Sir. I am very happy to help you connect your laptop wirelessly the the new BHHH and get you online straight away". 'No, I don't.....' etc etc. Evenutally...."Yes, Sir. There must be a compatibility issue with your switch. Is it compatible with the BTHH?" 'Well, that's why I'm calling you - the switch works ok with the old voyager'. "Yes, Sir. I would be very happy to assist you in connecting your laptop wirelessly to the new BTHH and get you online straight away" AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. Quick, someone get me a bandage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Editor 10:59 15 Oct 2006

and they're taught not to deviate from them. There are all kinds of reasons, but the main one is the danger of someone giving advice which results in a data loss.

My own view is that we're often able to resolve problems here, in the forum, faster/better than a lot of dedicated call centres.

And you save the cost of the phone call.

bythor 11:12 15 Oct 2006

Yes, you're right. I thought a brief call to them would get a simple 'just do this'. He couldn't even spell it! I asked if there was a UK number I could ring and he got even more confused. Anyway, I continued to fiddle, and in the end just shut dwon the home hub and rebooted it and hey presto!...now if I saw a post asking the question I'd have suggested a hub reboot! Doh.

the pie eater 16:06 15 Oct 2006

i let BT (in india) log on to my lap top and they set the lot up no problem charge 0.16p dont ask me why but thats what they did

steven_frost 16:58 15 Oct 2006

It's not only us poor people who have to deal with them all of BT's home workers too have the same problem i found this out last night when i spoke to a girl who works for BT she spent 45 mins trying to solve a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?