BT Home hub

surfer47 16:21 24 Jul 2010

I am using a BT Home Hub that is connected by cable to my Dell Inspiron 530. I want to purchase a laptop to use in other rooms. How do I got about this and what do I need to know?
Regards

gengiscant 16:53 24 Jul 2010

You will probably find better help here.If you post which home hub you have,I will see if I can find the page to help you set up your wireless connection.
click here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 24 Jul 2010

1 Make sure the laptop you buy has a wireless card and you know how to switch on (often a key sequence).

2. To connect by wireless to you home hub depends on your operating system XP Vista Windows 7 or other?

3. You will need to set wireless security in the HUB to stop outsiders using your connection.

a lot of info
click here

Diemmess 18:17 24 Jul 2010

I think most new laptops will anyway have a wireless card fitted as standard.
My laptop was new and like you I was using a BT home hub.

Installation must have been a doddle since the only snag I can remeber was the original wireless card which was dud.
A phone call to the supplier (Novatech) brought a new one overnight and the rest was easy following BT's booklet.
The necessary code numbers are clearly readable on the hub and sufficient for all but the paranoid or those who live in urban hotspots.

surfer47 19:42 24 Jul 2010

Hello! The hub I am using is the BTHomeHub 0895 and the operating system is windows Vista

Technotiger 21:01 24 Jul 2010

BT HomeHub is either

Version 1.0 - White & square.

Version 1.5 Also White and I think a little larger than Version 1.0.

Version 2.0 - Black and Curved.

Technotiger 21:03 24 Jul 2010

BT HomeHub is either

Version 1.0 - White & square.

Version 1.5 Also White and I think a little larger than Version 1.0.

Version 2.0 - Black and Curved.

click here

northumbria61 21:32 24 Jul 2010

If you have the Home Hub V2 (Black Curved One) as I have you will have been supplied by BT with a plastic card (credit card size) with Your "Wireless Network Name and Wireless Key" on it to connect and set up your wireless security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?