BT Home Hub in 2 different versions

Diemmess 17:22 29 Jul 2010

One side of me says if it's working don't fix it.
Just put it in a cupboard for a day when the hub in use dies.
Another side says "Try the upgrade", (If that's what it is).

Moved to BT early in 2009. Did the accepted thing about disconnecting the bell wire, and have had good reliable service around 5600kbps on a possible maximum for my line of 6200.

When contract came up for renewal I was able to negotiate a worthwhile sub reduction.
However, I have been sent a new Home Hub at no charge and told by salesman on the phone that I get this anyway and should install it.
Both hubs appear to be the curvy same with BT Home Hub 2 on the front.
Apart from rearrangement I can't find any significant changes in the booklet.
The software CD is 1.4 for the elder, and 1.7 for the younger one.

Sorry for such a long description -

Has any other BT customer had the same experience, benefits or problems?

Technotiger 17:27 29 Jul 2010

BTHomeHub2(Black-Curved) is the latest version. If you now have two of those, just keep one as a spare.

Diemmess 17:52 29 Jul 2010

Yes, as I was posting this I realised that the later software probably has a tweak for Windows 7 and anything else that has presented problems.
The new one will travel to the roofspace against the demise of the current one.

I have quite a collection of old AOL modems from members of the family who later changed their minds!

Thanks, I'll close this, but interested to see if anyone else has something to say.

mooly 18:01 29 Jul 2010

I got a new HH V2 a few weeks bacl FOC from BT. It's been excellent... mind you so was the old V1 but that wouldn't work correctly after the line was upgraded for some reason... new one is ace :)

The BT software... personally I wouldn't use it... just set up your connection using windows own network centre. It adds bloat to the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone