BT download speed query

peugeot man 05:38 14 Jul 2007

Is there any chance that one of you guys might just be more use than BT tech support?

Had BT 8mb broadband for a year achieving 5mb on a regular basis. Accepted BT offer of a home hub, as soon as installed speed dropped to 1mb. Some improvement over following 4 days but still slow. Connected old router and still got slow speeds.

I asked Gupta at tech support if it was possible that the 10 day optimisation period would have started again.

The answer was no, but I am not convinced as there is a gradual daily improvement, hit 3.5mb today (day 6)

Any experience of this?

MichelleC 11:07 14 Jul 2007

This BT spped tester may help click here

Dipso 14:52 14 Jul 2007

Basically, if your connection speed drops, then it recovers, it can take 3 days for your profile to increase in relation to the connection speed. The profile is what dictates your download speeds i.e you could be connecting at the full 8128 but if your profile is only 2000 you will only see 2 Meg speeds until your profile updats after 3 days. The speedtester in MichelleC's link will tell you what your current profile is.

The Home Hub has a very bad rep and has caused lots of problems for many people. Reverting to your old router was the best decision. If the Hub has really messed up your line and altered your target noise margin it could take weeks to sort itself out but provided you leave the router connected you will eventually get back the speed you had.

If you want any further advice post your current line stats and I'll take a look click here

peugeot man 17:42 14 Jul 2007

Thanks for that. Things have changed rapidly during the day. Have a look at these. Constant 6mb + with the Home Hub. Guess I am lucky after all.

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 3:13:34

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 51.93 / 388.62

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 29.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 7.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,528

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,874

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6564 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

Dipso 20:04 14 Jul 2007

Yes I think you are lucky ;) Lets just hope things stay that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?