bt broadband won't connect

hargranules 16:10 09 Aug 2006

trying to sort out a broadband problem on a xp machine. I have uninstalled and re - installed the modem drivers and have two green lights on modem. Have confirmed with bt the user name and password and deleted and reset up the acoount.

But it will not connect comes up with error 721 cannot connect to remote computer.

Whilst on the phone to bt support they asked me to type ip config into cmd box, kept coming up media disconnected....

please help ????

hargranules 16:22 09 Aug 2006

also have disabled mcafee anti virus and firewall but that made no difference

FelixTCat 16:29 09 Aug 2006

hargranules,

Please check that you have a microfilter at every phone extension outlet on your system.

Second, check in the properties of your modem (presumably a USB modem?) and look for a "statistics" or similar page. It tells you things like Downstream Rate, Signal/Noise Ratio etc. These tell you whether you have an adsl signal.

What is the downstream rate?

Regards,

Felix

hargranules 16:31 09 Aug 2006

I checked the microfilters and put them on every socket.

As far as I know there is adsl connection because the dsl light is on the modem - not at the machine at the moment.

FelixTCat 16:45 09 Aug 2006

hargranules,

As well as the username and password there are a number of other settings that you have to get right for adsl to work.

For example you must set up on GDMT modulation, PPPoA, VC/MUX encapsulation, VPI:0, VCI:38 unless your ISP gives different settings.

The username and password are also case-sensitive.

Regards,

Felix

hargranules 16:50 09 Aug 2006

will double check but did go through it all on phone with support.

Anything else i should try??

hargranules 19:45 09 Aug 2006

bump

FelixTCat 21:00 09 Aug 2006

A different modem?

hargranules 22:30 09 Aug 2006

do have an identical one so will try. Always thought if the modem or phone line was faulty you got flashing lights on it.

p;3 23:04 09 Aug 2006

when you power up the pc, do you get one green light on your adsl modem box , assuming that is is connected to the phone line and the computer; then, when the comp loads up, do you get the second light flashing then staying on on the modem? so you have two green lights on the modem NOT flashing but staying on;?

hargranules 23:09 09 Aug 2006

yes have two constant lights, power and dsl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?