BT Broadband wireless problem

mattleeves 17:28 03 Jan 2006

Can someone help me? When I connect my wireless router to my PC with an ethernet cable I can access the internet without a problem, however when I try 'wirelessly' I get an error saying limited or no connectivity. It seems to not be assigning an IP address. I am using WinXP with SP2 installed. I have read several threads regarding this error but without success, if anyone can throw something new in the ring I would much appreciate it.

mgmcc 20:37 03 Jan 2006

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Networks", found and selected the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate that it is connected to that network and it should then get the IP address.

mattleeves 08:34 04 Jan 2006

Yes I have a wireless connection but when I try to connect to the internet it drops the connection and gives me the warning about limited or no connectivity.

mgmcc 08:43 04 Jan 2006

What do you mean by "when I try to connect to the internet"? If you have "Connected" to the wireless network, the icon has its "halo" and the Wireless Adapter has got its IP address from the router, you should already be connected to the internet, there is no additional connection to establish.

After you have "Connected" to the wireless network, what IP address does the wireless adapter have?

mattleeves 08:49 04 Jan 2006

When I say "connect to the internet" I mean that when I click on internet explorer. My computer is at home today so can not check the IP address until later

dognabbit 11:59 04 Jan 2006

I had a similar problem, where i was getting a wireless connection, but windows was assigning the IP address to my laptop, instead of the router. I had to reinstall my wireless card on the laptop to get it to work correctly.

bif18 19:59 02 Mar 2009

Sorry Can't add anything new but you are not alone with this probelm. From the advice I have been given from the BT helpline the best way to connect to the internet wirelessly using their home hub is to plug in an ethernet cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?