BT Broadband update causes problems

musicbassman 20:56 27 Dec 2009

I received an update message from BT Broadband this afternoon - it updated and then asked to transfer my setup from BT wireless management to Windows wireless management - something about this being the preferred system now.
Result of this change was that I then completely lost my broadband connection, and after fiddling around with both the BT and Windows diagnostic tools for a couple of hours with no improvement I gave up. Then I used System Restore to revert to the old settings prior to the update - and everything works perfectly again.
Anyone else had this problem? If you are offered this update it may be a good idea to be cautious and create a Restore Point first.

penholder 22:01 27 Dec 2009

Am BT Broadband user but not had this update message. Was it legit? What BT Option are you on?

Technotiger 22:08 27 Dec 2009

I also use BT Broadband, but have not had this so-called update - this sounds like a wind-up or worse! I would advise you to run all your Anti-everything programs, to be on the safe side.

compumac 22:10 27 Dec 2009

I also have BT Broadband and not had this update message.

compumac 22:11 27 Dec 2009

How did you receive this message?

musicbassman 08:31 28 Dec 2009

Thanks for your replies. A normal BT update window appeared, and after the update I had the message about the change. Obviously I cant remember the exact graphics or text - it appeared to be exactly the same appearance as the usual BT format - I didn't study it closely, although I'm usually very cautious about anything offered as an "improvement", especially if it has the words 'Microsoft' or 'Windows' in it - usually means it will be worse afterwards!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone