BT Broadband & telephone interference

nettywoo 14:21 02 Oct 2003

Yesterday my telephone started making noise every 10 mins or so whilst on Broadband - I had the microfilters etc all in correct - any ideas?

MichelleC 14:55 02 Oct 2003

What sort of noise, and did it interfer with b/b?

nettywoo 15:07 02 Oct 2003

It was the noise that occurs when you have a dial up internet connection and you pick up the phone whilst online.

nettywoo 15:07 02 Oct 2003

Oh and BT Broadband kept disconnecting

Djohn 15:20 02 Oct 2003

Do you still have your dial-up modem connected? If so it may be trying to dial out for some reason. Though this would not affect your broadband in a direct way it may cause a software conflict in your PC that will cause your broadband modem to drop the connection.

If you still have an internal modem and it's connected to the phone line, try disconnecting it for a while and see if this cures the problem. If it does, then please post back and someone will help further with advice of settings if you wish to keep both. j.

nettywoo 15:56 02 Oct 2003

I did notice that BT Broadband is actually stored under dial-up connection - not LAN/ High Speed - does that make a difference?

MichelleC 16:20 02 Oct 2003

As Djohn suggests, disable dialup modem. You can do this in bios.

nettywoo 16:38 02 Oct 2003

Thanks for your help!! Sorry to be a pain but one last question - how do I get into bios and when I'm in there do I need to type a particular code or is it self-explanatory?

Djohn 17:21 02 Oct 2003

Probably best not to go into your BIOS unless you feel reasonably sure of your way round. If you still want to have a look, then when you reboot your PC, keep tapping the Del. key on your keyboard. This will take you to the BIOS screen.

This is an area where you make changes to your PC hardware, if you change something that you shouldn't, you may leave yourself with a PC that won't boot-up. If you do go into the BIOS, your mouse will usually not work and you use the Up/Down/Left/Right keys to move about. Your enter key for yes, and Escape key for No.

After having a look round, press the escape key to exit, you will see a choice of options on the screen.

If you have made any changes and are sure of them, choose "Exit with save" otherwise choose "Exit without saving" Your PC will then carry on loading windows as normal.

Coming back to your dial-up modem, if the phone line is connected to it, then just disconnect the lead from the modem itself, this will be sufficient to see if this is causing the problem. Try this first and let us know how you get on. Regards. j.

nettywoo 23:18 02 Oct 2003

Thanks - hadn't got a clue until you guys helped me out!! Problem now sorted and have normal functioning phone again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?