BT Broadband Talk - trouble connecting browser

tristar 14:35 11 May 2007

Several times in the last few weeks, when I try to start up my BT/Yahoo browser in the evening I get a message 'unable to connect, please check your connections'. This is when trying to log in between 6:30 and 7:30 in the evening.The BT 'help' panel pops up and offers a health check. Each time it says check connections, or contact ISP. Next morning, WITHOUT MY CHECKING ANYTHING I can log in as usual. Is BT subject to being swamped by high demand at peak times?
Somehow I thought broadband wouldn't be affected in this way.
Is it just me on the Isle of Wight having this problem, or is it more common than that?

tristar

p;3 14:37 11 May 2007

of interest, what do you actually use as your home page? I am on BT BB

me too, have a home hub with a phone, got rid of all the bt helpdesk? and yahoo clutter a good while back, why do you need to log in?

tristar 14:41 11 May 2007

I use the BT Yahoo homepage. BTW, when I have this problem sometimes I can get logged in with IE7!

tristar 14:43 11 May 2007

Why do I need to log in? I thought it was the only way I could use BT broadband

p;3 14:47 11 May 2007

as far as I know you do NOT need to 'log in' to use BT ; when you connect via the BB you kinda 'log in' via the phone line '

THIS is my 'home page' at present

click here although

click here THIS was; BUT as far as I know you can take your pick; you COULD even have

click here::))

tristar 14:49 11 May 2007

Thank you, I'll try something similar!!

p;3 14:53 11 May 2007

when you signed up you were given a dedicated phone line on broadband status? and you were given a username such as [email protected]; when you start up the computer and go to connect TO the BB , it checks that the phone line being used is the same as that registered FOR the broadband username;
I get a dial up box which gives my broadband username; I then press connect, it checks who I am ..and voila::))

you only need to log in to check emails, i set up outlook express so only use the hub, no drivers, no set up disc, no helpdesk icon, when i first set it up all the freebies nearly half filled an 80gb hdd, i see no need for any of it and certainly miss nothing, plus any av i use hates yahoo (we collect personal data) software and it doesnt work if you set your privacy above minimum, which worried me a little, maybe im paranoid!

p;3 15:02 11 May 2007

I use OE for mails now BUT occasionally log into server to see if stuff has been parked in the spam box;

mines set to clear after a day, i figured if anythings that important people would call me, plus im very curious, and i may just click something i shouldnt! out of sight, out of mind!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?