BT Broadband problem

saxilby 20:44 04 Jan 2009

Hi Not sure if anyone can help with my problem, but here goes, since I added my sons laptop on christmas day to connect to my bt home hub when he is logged on and using the internet at the same time as I am using my laptop also connected to the homhub it frquently throws my internet connection off, I can not reconnect using the diagnose and repair option for the internet options I have to manually take the power cable out of the home hub and also the braodband cable wait for the power to go off, reconnect the power cable wait for that to go green and then reconnect the broadband cable and again wait for that to to green and then we are both connected again, have been onto bt and they say there is no problems on the line or with my settings on my computer this is happening almost daily now and I wondered if anyone has a solution to this problem.
Many thanks
Jo

Technotiger 20:49 04 Jan 2009

Your laptop should be connected via ethernet cable to HomeHub, your son's laptop should connect wirelessly. As your post is worded it looks as if both are connected via cable to the HomeHub.

saxilby 20:55 04 Jan 2009

No they are both wireless connections bt said this shouldnt be a problem, can you only connect one laptop wirelessly at a time, sorry dont know much about this sort of thing.

Technotiger 21:06 04 Jan 2009

You should be able to use both wirelessly.

Maybe this will help ... click here

FRANKMAC 21:45 04 Jan 2009

Not that i have a solution to your problem, but i can say it is possible to connect 2 pc's wirelessly. I currently have 1pc on cable connection, another pc on wireless and a laptop on wireless, they all work fine, even all at the same time.

Technotiger 21:51 04 Jan 2009

What Version of BT HomeHub do you have? If you have Version 1.0 this might be your problem. Version 1.5 and Version 2.0 are much more stable than Version 1.0

saxilby 23:22 04 Jan 2009

I have version 1.5 the smaller of the hubs

Technotiger 23:41 04 Jan 2009

In that case you should only reset it by pressing the bottom button on the right-hand side of the Hub, and keep the hub switched on (connected to the mains) at all times, do not close it down when you shut-down your PC.

When you re-set it using said button, wait until all lights are steady before trying to connect.

saxilby 08:37 05 Jan 2009

All of the above have been tried but it still throws the internet connection off, have checked firewalls etc.

Technotiger 09:14 05 Jan 2009

Strange, the only other thing I can think of is, that there may be some sort of electrical interference of some kind, perhaps from a fridge/freezer/washing machine/microwave or whatever, or even perhaps a nearby mains power sub-station.

Technotiger 09:17 05 Jan 2009

Perhaps if you ask BT, explain to them again all the problems you are having, and lay it on a bit thick, they might change your Hub for the later Version 2.0, which might solve the problem - but that is just a stab-in-the-dark.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?