Bt broadband incompatibility with VPN

pineo77 10:21 22 Jun 2007

I have recently installed BT broadband and the wireless worked fine. Then I went to work and the wireless and VPN would not work. I unistalled all BT software so that the work thing would work. Now at home I can only connect to BT through the ethernet. The wireless connect momentarily (sometimes) and about 2mins later it disconnects. Any ideas?

recap 13:45 22 Jun 2007

Have you checked the firewall for the BT connection is set to allow your VPN connection?

SpaceAce 12:11 10 Jan 2008

I too have BT Broadband at home which generally works very well. Wireless network via the HomeHub to a PC and laptop, good speed and pretty solid connection.

However, when I want to connect from home to my office system through a VPN connection I find this can be very flaky. The Zone Alarm firewall is set up ok to allow the VPN connection but if the VPN is connected then normal internet and e-mail doesn't work on that computer, although the other one does - ie, if the PC is VPN'd, the laptop still connects to the internet ok and vice versa.

I also have BT Vision which again works very well but interacts strangely with my VPN connection. If the VPN is on first from either computer, then BT Vision won't connect properly through the Home Hub (powerline adapters). IF BT Vision is on first, the VPN connection works fine!

Don't know if it is a connection settings problem on each computer or a Home Hub problem. the interaction with BT Vision would suggest a Home Hub issue but that wouldn't explain the individual computers playing up. Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?