BT Broadband disconnects

Welsh_PCS 19:13 04 Jan 2007

I’m trying to keep this short. I ordered BT broadband three months ago and finally got a connection (using a BT Home hub), just before Christmas. Since then, the broadband connection disconnects between 20 to 40 times a day, (normally when I’m trying to use it). I’m about 4.5 miles from the nearest exchange and have a downstream connection speed of 576kbps. I have had numerous conversations with BT and they have now opted to send a replacement hub however, I’m not convinced this will resolve the problem (after reading stacks of comments about BT’s ability to resolve problems). I think the problem may be with the line and distance. The downstream noise margin varies between 1 and 6db. Any ideas why it varies so much.

STREETWORK 19:22 04 Jan 2007

1. Ask BT to do a line check for faults
2. Try changing the filters
3. You could be experiencing local radio interferance, which Bt can check and advise about.

Welsh_PCS 21:15 04 Jan 2007

I got a new line at the same time as the broadband was enabled, (my original line had a DAX on it).The line had a pronounced hum and the broadband would not connect. Bt were able to fix the hum and now say the line is OK. I have replaced the ADSL filter and re-kroned all the connection with out any change. I have a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and when I connect that to the BT line, it only connects about one every two days, that why I suspect the line. I guess the Netgear is a better ASDL modem than the BT Home hub.

Welsh_PCS 21:18 04 Jan 2007

Sorry, miss-typed the reply. the Netgear only disconnects about once every two days.

douglas1973 09:55 08 Mar 2007

I was supplied with a BT Home Hub in place of my BT Voyager 2071 and I had exactly the same problems as you Welsh_PCS. To cut a very long story short after a lot of anguish and problems with BT I went back to the Voyager 2071 and since have had no problems - touch wood! Through a connection I have with BT found out that they have had lots of problems with the BT Home Hub.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone