bt broadband did i use some elses id to log on?

frankie 21:45 08 Apr 2007

bt broadband did i use some elses id to log on?...
got me this...my son and i are both on bt broadband,seperate addresses,and phone numbers,his pc crashed so done new install plugged it into mine at my address he lives 4 miles away,installed xp lo and behold windows updated and ran without me installing or even inserting the bt disc,although my ethernet cable was plugged in,ready to install for him up to his user name,further to this i typed in his details totally different to mine at here,inc phone number. and it worked at mine how come.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:52 08 Apr 2007

My log in details to Tiscali seem to work on other computers using Tiscali BB.

G

Dipso 21:52 08 Apr 2007

Do you use a router? You don't need to input any username to connect to the net via the PC if connecting a router with an ethernet cable.

Ashrich 21:53 08 Apr 2007

I can't be sure , but are the BT routers like Sky ones where they are pre-configured to connect to their servers and you simply enter your details into your email program to get that to work and you can use the Internet right away , maybe that is why that happened to you .

Ashley

frankie 22:02 08 Apr 2007

but surely is that not open to wrong usage if i get someones elses details and use there phone number,on my line will they not be billed,dont even have to use bt software..on xp installation there msn is connected without inputting anything?or as its my phone line will i get the bill? baffling me.i thought to connect from your home phone using your home phone number you put in your details and connect..put in wrong details and would say cant connect? but to use someone elses and connect?hmmm

frankie 16:17 10 Apr 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?