BT Broadband Connection Speed - Slow computers

AFoxyLady 17:29 15 Mar 2007

I have two computers connected on a home wireless network. We are with BT Broadband, and have recently upgraded our account. We are using a BT Voyager 205 to connect to the internet, and then have a D Link DWL926 (DL624) wireless box, that deals with the wireless home network, and allows the laptop to connect to the internet, as well as each computer to each other.

We have noticed over the last couple of weeks that both computers appear to be running slowly, and in particular when connected to the internet. I have run Crap Cleaner and Ad Aware on both, and regularly do so. We have Bullguard as our Antivirus and Firewall.

We received the new BT Hub , but decided, that as nothing was broken, there was no need to fix it. Consequently, we are still using the BT Voyager hub.

I have read various different posts here, and have run some stats from the link click here
I have copied and pasted the stats below. (They mean nothing to me) Perhaps someone could take a look and let me know

DSL Parameters and Status
Vendor ID: 00B5GSPN
Revision Number: Y1921a
Serial Number: 123456789abcdx
Local Tx Power: 11.95 dB
Remote Tx Power: 19.69 dB
Local Line Atten.: 26.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 17.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 7.5 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 19.0 dB
Self Test: Passed
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Trellis Coding: Disable
Framing Structure: Framing-3
Config Data Up Down
Intrlvd Fast Intrlvd Fast
AS0(kbps): - - 7360 0
AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
LS0(kbps): 448 0 - -
LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
RValue: 16 0 16 0
SValue: 8 1
DValue: 2 16

1. Are the stats ok? What do they tell me/us?
2. Is the new BT Hub better to use rather than our existing hub? And if the answer to that is yes..... How on earth do I swop them over? Is it an easy task to achieve?
3. Are there any other checks I can do to check our connection speed, or to quicken everything up.

We have noticed in particular that Yahoo mail is extremely slow!

citadel 18:04 15 Mar 2007

If you have bt broadband desktop help installed you could us msconfig to remove it from the start up list. go to start, run, type msconfig then choose start up, remove the tick in the box for bt broadband desktop help. you will still be able to use it from the programs list.

AFoxyLady 18:19 15 Mar 2007

I have the BT Broadband help installed in the main desktop computer, but why would removing it from the startup help? I did the stats test from my laptop (the computer I am using now)

Sorry to be a numpty!

citadel 18:38 15 Mar 2007

as soon as you swich on it loads up and slows start up. plus it contacts internet.

AFoxyLady 19:20 15 Mar 2007

Hi - It has been disabled, and has been for a while. My son checked all the items in the startup and disabled most of them a long time ago.

Its not the startup that is slow, that is now much quicker since we read previous posts, and have been checking various different links and threads, and removed items and programs from the startup. The computers are slow running, and in particular when accessing the internet, and web pages. I am really interested to know what our connection speed is and what the stats show.

Thanks for you advise though, as I know that in the past startup items have caused problems.

Dipso 21:18 15 Mar 2007

Local Line Atten.: 26.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 7.5 dB
Framing Structure: Framing-3
Config Data Up Down
AS0(kbps): - - 7360 0
LS0(kbps): 448 0 - -

The important bits are your downstream/local attenuation, downstream/local SNR margin and your connection speed shown as ASO above.

Your attenuation is 26 which should allow you to connect at the full 8128 maximum sync. As you are only connecting at 7360 it suggests a problem with your internal phone wiring or filters.

Do you connect through the first master socket in your home or through an extension?

Try taking this test click here you will need to enter your ISP's log in details. Post the results.

I wouldn't bother with the Home Hub just yet as your set up is working.

AFoxyLady 21:50 15 Mar 2007

Hi Dipso,

I have just run the test as you suggested - results below:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7360 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5348 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Glad you have said not to use the new hub! Right - our connection is as follows:

The main BT socket that comes into the house is by the front door, and in this socket we have an adsl little white box - from this box there are two leads, one for the phone, and one that goes to the computer. The one for the computer is a plastic covered silver wire, the phone is just a normal white wire. Hope this is enough information.

Dipso 21:58 15 Mar 2007

"Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5348 kbps" That's not a bad speed...does it seem slow now?

Is your main BT socket a NTE-5 like this one click here?

AFoxyLady 22:11 15 Mar 2007

Hi Dipso

Yes it is just like the one shown in the illustration.

Maybe it is just the one or two sites that we regularly vist and check, and one of those happens to be Yahoo mail.

What does "Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5348 kbps" actually mean in simple terms - and would taking the test with my laptop, and the main desktop on the internet at the same time make much difference. If both computers are on the net at the same time, does it effectively half the speed of the connection?

Sorry if these are dumb questions to ask, I would just like to perhaps try and understand a little bit more.

Many thanks for your help.

woodchip 22:11 15 Mar 2007

For me those speeds are v/good If I was you I would give attention to each computer to see what the Problem is. Are they overloaded with software that you do not use etc. If so remove it. Do some cleaning up on the PC. How much free Disc Space do they have

woodchip 22:12 15 Mar 2007

Anti-Virus may be slowing things down try Free Avast or AVG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?