BT Broadband connection Problems - Please Help

spudcooper 19:32 28 Nov 2005

hi everyone i really need some help. heres my prob.
i have recently got a new pc (xp) so i decided to get BT broadband but since i first got it ive been havin big problem with it. i have rang and emailed BT countless times but i never get any useful help.
i have a BT voyager 205 ADSL Router to connect to the internet but after a few mins of being online it start to slow down and every website comes up with "can not find server or DNS error" and at the same time i can not log into msn/windows messenger. the connection on network connection seems fine but when ever i try repair its says it cant as it can not clear DNS cache also i have noticed on the BT voyager program in status it displays "No Device" which should say connected.
please can someone help me as it really anoying me and it seems im paying for a service that i cant use.
Thanks...

Number 7 22:17 28 Nov 2005

Is the router connected to your PC via an ethernet cable, or is it connected to a USB port?

Something to try:

Click Start> Run and in the box type "services.msc" (no quotes).

Scroll through the list and find DNS Client.

Right click the entry and select Properties.

Under Startup Type, select Disable.

Click Apply, then click OK.

Your router should be acting as a DNS server and you shouldn't need the DNS Client Service.

Reboot and try the connection again.

spudcooper 23:32 29 Nov 2005

I tried your solution Number 7 and i noticed it was already set to "Disable". should this be?
and i am currently using a ethernet cable to link it to my PC but have previouly tryed connecting it with USB but still had the same prob.

i will say that i have spent hours on the phone to BT and they have never told me to change thoose settings.

spudcooper 23:39 29 Nov 2005

I tried your solution Number 7 and i noticed it was already set to "Disable". should this be?
and i am currently using a ethernet cable to link it to my PC but have previouly tryed connecting it with USB but still had the same prob.

i will say that i have spent hours on the phone to BT and they have never told me to change thoose settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?