BT Broadband. Can I change or add an ISP

PhiltheFragger 17:17 09 Apr 2003

A mate is currently with BT broadband and wants to try another isp, Is it just a case of putting in the new ISP disk and selecting the broadband modem from the dial up /connections menu. or is this too simplistic and am I missing something.

Over to you chaps

Stalker 17:29 09 Apr 2003

Might not be as simple as that, because dont forget he will have a 12 month broadband contract with BT.

Also i think you can only use one service provider with broadband, because i have 512k broadband at home and at work, and i cant login at home using my work setting and vice versa. So i think you would need to cancel the contract with BT before you could try another ISP. And if you are in teh 12 months they will charge very nicely!

I might be wrong but this is the way i understand it.

Stalker

Danoh 17:36 09 Apr 2003

Does he just want to have another email address or does he actually want to compare broadband services?

The former can be done relatively simply via your internet connections and email account settings.

The later will require plugging and unplugging cables if you are only thinking of using one broadband (ADSL presumably, not cable) modem. This will require the same modem's address to be registered and authenticated on both broadband ISPs systems. Then each time he unplugs/plugs, he will have to wait until the system authentication is completed before he can swap ISPs.

He'll soon get fedup of that I'm sure!

Of course, he will also need to modify software settings correctly, to point at the right ISP as well.
He can't just pop in the other ISP's CD as it would overwrite the 1st ISP's software settings. It will have to be done manually.

Hope that helps.

MartinT-B 17:50 09 Apr 2003

I have a similar issue. Not changing ISP, but adding one.

I am about to move into a house with Telewest BB. They only allow one connection per property. So, we have to network the house (done) and I needed another ISP for my mail etc.

NIGHTMARE!

Try ringing an ISP and saying you want service without paying for a connection. Even though I am prepared to pay for Email and some webspace they are locked into providing the connection, and can't see past that.

So, I have now bought a package from Clara.net to be my host with 100mb of space and 50 emails for £99.00 + VAT pa. They also wanted to charge me £45.00 to buy a domain for 2 years.

Bugger that! (excuse my language)

I just bought one for 10 years from Verisign for $150.00 That's about £10.00 pa Will transfer it to Clara.net when I get the paperwork.

The only minor niggle is that I have to use the outgoing mailserver of the guy who pays for the Telewest connection. I pay him £10.00 per month to share his connection.

Not bad I thought :)

PhiltheFragger 18:11 09 Apr 2003

Ok
so say that I have a BT openworld broadband with a BT email address and I want another Email address from say, freeserve but I don't have a freeserve account, how do I go about it?

Danoh 22:55 09 Apr 2003

Assuming you will be using something like Outlook, go to “Tools” > “Options” > “Email Accounts” a/cs or something like that > “Add” or “Create” a new email account or whatever the wizard tells you to do.

Key thing to remember to do would be to watch the settings for the email servers; POP3 (incoming email) and SMTP (outgoing email).

To get your incoming freeserve email, put in the freeserve POP3 email server name (pop.freeserve.com perhaps?) and put in the BT SMTP email server (mail.btinternet.com ?)

Hope you get the gist and fill in the missing blanks ~ however you need to signon to the freeserve site to register your freeserve email account first, of course.

But then I see the GREEN TICK has already been applied... :-)

Danoh 22:56 09 Apr 2003

Assuming you will be using something like Outlook, go to “Tools” > “Options” > “Email Accounts” a/cs or something like that > “Add” or “Create” a new email account or whatever the wizard tells you to do.

Key thing to remember to do would be to watch the settings for the email servers; POP3 (incoming email) and SMTP (outgoing email).

To get your incoming freeserve email, put in the freeserve POP3 email server name (pop.freeserve.com perhaps?) and put in the BT SMTP email server (mail.btinternet.com ?)

Hope you get the gist and fill in the missing blanks ~ however you need to signon to the freeserve site to register your freeserve email account first, of course.

But then I see the GREEN TICK has already been applied... :-)

Danoh 22:58 09 Apr 2003

got a server error back which implied the first message did not get posted!!

accord 07:44 10 Apr 2003

philthefrager

click on your previous thread where you asked the same question

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?