BT Broadband

larryweir 21:37 15 Sep 2008

Currently with BT total broadband and am now experiencing extremely slow download speeds. BT most unhelpful therefore intend jumping ship to O2. I understand that O2 use the BT phone line. I do not want to jump out the frying pan into the fire. Has anyone made this change and has it made any difference.

wis 22:15 15 Sep 2008

and am now slow
was it ok before
im with bt no probs, has your system changed any bugs ect,please check the hassel of changing when its your system at fault is a pain,virus ect

larryweir 22:26 15 Sep 2008

It was fine until last week, I was getting 3meg download speeds now it's dropped to 1.5 and below. Nothing has changed on my PC.

wis 22:51 15 Sep 2008

bt as others want your biss
my sons pc same probs major clean all temp files
ect,back up to speed

larryweir 10:14 16 Sep 2008

Thanks.

Pine Man 10:33 16 Sep 2008

If O2 provide BB in your area, as they do in mine, go for it.

They are now the number 1 BB provider in the UK with excellent BB and customer service.

When I changed to O2 my speed went up to a speed twice as fast as the speed that BT said they could provide me with!

nkosi 12:09 16 Sep 2008

I had a phone call from BT yesterday asking me to sign up for a further 12 months. In return they would 'upgrade my service'. How can you do that? I asked, as I'm on the top level. She said that they could give me a faster speed.

I'm on 'up to 8Mb' but getting about 2.5 due to the distance from the exchange. Does this mean that they have the technology to improve the speed but are keeping it back until they need to bribe you to re-sign the contract? Or is it a scam?

Anyway, I said I was considering moving to Sky as I already have TV with them and I'll see if BT come up with any other 'offers' in a couple of weeks.

larryweir 12:57 16 Sep 2008

Thanks everyone. It has become obvious over the years that BT want to dominate the broadband world, and are running scared of losing customers to other providers. O2 is available in my area and will be jumping ship. If they can offer a 50-day money back guarantee then obviously it does exactly what it says on the tin. When I contacted BT today for my Mac code they tried to reduce my monthly payment and offered faster speeds. As nkosi states above, so they have something up their sleeve, I think not. Bye bye BT

exdragon 13:05 16 Sep 2008

When I asked BT how much of a reduction they would offer to keep me, they said they'd reduce the charge from £17.99 to £16.99... I went to o2 and now have the service free for a year as I've had a mobile from them for years - their offer, not my request!

As said earlier, Customer Service is excellent and the people seem to know what they are talking about.

larryweir 15:39 16 Sep 2008

Just found a programme called ONSPEED, has anyone heard or tried this. It claimes to increase you download speeds.

Pine Man 16:49 16 Sep 2008

You won't need that with o2;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?