BT ADSL Speedtester

want2no 10:55 10 May 2007

I am trying to check out my BT ADSL line using the speed tester that BT recommends which is at click here

I have installed the BTHomehub and have configured a PC with Windows XP with no firewall. It is a PC with nothing on it except the operating system. The hub is configured to allow access through.
All URLs I have tried are OK and I can connect to them, EXCEPT for the site click here.
Also if I try to ping this site 217.32.105.42, the request times out.
Any ideas why this is happening?

oldbeefer2 10:57 10 May 2007

I haven't been able to access that site for months. don't know whether it's just swamped or if there is a problem.

johnnyrocker 11:02 10 May 2007

well i got it ok but came up with unexpected error when i tried test, might be cos i llu?

johnny.

Stuartli 11:12 10 May 2007

Won't work for me either.

Dipso 14:20 10 May 2007

Try these alternative addresses for the same click here
click here

It loads OK for me using either of those.

I notice there is now a ticker at the top of the page saying the service status of the test and that it can be busy in the evenings.

To confirm, it does not work if you are on LLU.

Dipso 14:29 10 May 2007

I think you need Java to run the test but that isn't likely to be the reason you can't get to the site.

Mad Mick 16:02 10 May 2007

Bt speedtestrer site is out of action for maintenance at present. I don't know how long this will last.

Stuartli 19:04 10 May 2007

Try:

click here

as an alternative.

Dipso 20:40 10 May 2007

If it's just a ordinary speedtest that want2no needs then I wouldn't tend to use the BT Speedtester as it's too unreliable. However, if you are having problems with your connection then it's the only one that will give your BRAS profile information which is required to diagnose faults with ADSL Max.

rabies 22:25 10 May 2007

Try this one, it's quite good. I got it from one of bt's help advisors!
click here
Rabies

Stuartli 00:36 11 May 2007

Your site demonstrates the confusion which arises over such speed tests.

It returns less than 3MB and 284Kbps upload whereas the Speedtest BBMaX site offers between 6MB and 6.5MB and a pretty consistent 380Kbps...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?