BSOD problem

Trackrat 23:25 13 Jan 2007

A friend just asked me to look at his computer.
He has installed Steganos antivirus of the cover of Which magazine because his usual AV application asked to be renewed , so they thought they would try a free one.
They did not uninstall the old AV and now it boots into windows for a minute and then everytime it goes to the BSOD.

I booted it up and sure enough it booted into windows then after about 30 seconds the BSOD duly kicked in and it rebooted into a never ending loop.
So I disconnected the wireless keyboard & mouse and used a PS2 keyboard & mouse, pressed F2 selected safe mode pressed enter, the writing scrolled up the screen and it then rebooted into windows, I tried it again and exactly the same happened, so no access to safe mode.
So next I entered the BIOS and changed the first boot to CD, inserted my XP cd after writing down the key on the side of the machine, it booted of the CD and I started to do an XP repair, upon pressing enter to install XP it said it could not find the drive with XP on it, so I took the side of the machine to find it had a SATA drive installed, so I asked them for the floppy with the SATA drivers on it, to be met with a blank stare.
So they will have to take it to a place i recommended to sort it out as the place they brought it from 10 months ago has gone bust.

Is there anything else I could have done that I have missed.
I should add there was no back up to make things easy.

gudgulf 23:30 13 Jan 2007

From the menu where you select Safe Mode you could try "last known good configuration" instead.

Or at the point just before you click OK to boot into Safe Mode elect to use System Restore instead.

Trackrat 23:38 13 Jan 2007

I have tried safe mode /with networking /with cmd and last known good configuration.

Where is the option to use system restore before you boot into safe mode?.

I have always booted into safe mode to use system restore to get a computer up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone