BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_or_EQUAL Stop Message

Rockarch 16:42 11 Apr 2007

Hi
Hoping for some help with a BSOD message.
I get a STOP message IRQL_NOT_LESS_or_EQUAL with a memory reference when I shut down windows. This has happened on every shut down since Friday when I installed some new software (Cyberlink Video software). I have uninstalled this but still have the same issue.
A quick google suggests that this problem is either due to some hardware problem (so maybe the whole laptop is about to die on me) or a buggy device driver.
I have a couple of questions - is it worth going back to a system restore point before the problem started ? Or is there some other diagnostics I can run?
I have a Dell Inspiron 510m running XP with no hardware changes since the original configuration.
Any help gratefully received
Thanks

anskyber 16:58 11 Apr 2007

Yes. I would do a system restore.

anskyber 16:59 11 Apr 2007

PS. To before you installed the driver.

Rockarch 17:11 11 Apr 2007

I will do that but would you know why if as I have uninstalled the software which I think caused the problem why it would still happen? I uninstalled just using control panel add/remove programs. Where would I look to see if there are any remnants anywhere?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 11 Apr 2007

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
click here

sunny staines 18:22 11 Apr 2007

Its normally a faulty driver incorrectly trying to access the memory. try deleting the cyberlink software turn off pc for a few mins to clear memory turn on and reinstall software. could be software has faults

Rockarch 18:33 11 Apr 2007

Thanks for the help. I have uninstalled the software & won't need it again so am happy without it. Fruitbat - How do I know which drivers I need to update or reinstall?
Do I need to do anything further to delete the cyberlink software as I just did it through control panel.
Thanks

sunny staines 06:09 12 Apr 2007

run a registry checker like registry mechanic 5 [free] or ccleaner [free]to clear up any left overs.

Rockarch 07:43 12 Apr 2007

Thanks for the help. I ran system restore last night to the point before I installed the new software. The strange thing was that when the system rebooted I got a message saying something like 'Couldn't perform system restore as no changes had been made' . Anyway on shutdown no BSOD so maybe the uninstallation was sufficient. I will run ccleaner anyway to clean things up.
I will say this is resolved for the moment but I'll be back if it recurs!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?