BSOD & Freeze when shutting down pc - WinMe

Giggle n' Bits 00:55 27 Nov 2003

GF has problem with her P.bell running WinMe, after been online for a while then leaving and disconnecting from web. Going to shut down ME the correct way causes the computer to intermitantly freeze with a BSOD and not saying much apart from protection error restart your machnine.

I can only think that because the connection rate of the modem is between a 32,000Kbps - 40,000Kbps
is this possbile that the modem is struggling releasing something. No idea as I haven't seen a BSOD when shutting a pc down before only from being in windows or starting windows.

Everything else if fine.

Any idea's what to look at or try, all Chipset drivers, Dirext X are ok.

ahales42 02:06 27 Nov 2003

WinME is the worst os ms has come out with. If everything is working fine after you reboot, then just learn to live with it. ME is an awful, awful prog.

temp003 02:49 27 Nov 2003

Windows 9x shutdown general troubleshooting click here

Specific to ME, click here

Giggle n' Bits 12:26 27 Nov 2003

good link to site, have some reading to do and things to try out there, it looks like it will be a long process.

One thing I have noticed is in device manager the Mouse which is a USB mouse with Packard Bell on and not wireless or infrared type shows in the Device manager as a PS/2 & then a HID mouse & Hid compliant. Erh whats HID anyone, is it something to do with cord free jobbie.

I am going stick on a good old fashioned PS/2 and let her try it. Removing the Hid crashes the machine but plugging in the PS/2 it vanishes.

Again thanks temp003 interesting site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?