BSOD error message; nowt on Google

p;3 09:26 10 May 2005

Win 98SE IE6 and firefox; on Tower;OE in use
AVG fully-updated and running
checking a mail attachement that I have previously opened and read and know to be "safe"; opened in OE today; a contact names list from a friend;
got BSOD error message

0028:C00DCC8 in VXD AGV CORE (01) 0005BFA7 google has nowt on it;

when I originally loaded pc today email scanner showed as red on AGV control centre, and mailwasher could not connect; had no problems whatsoever yesterday ;

system tray icon showed as black and white and not the normal colours ;

rebooted pc at start-up to check for issues, and all re-loaded ok; checked for updates with AGV and none available;

the message I was opening was originally scanned with NOD32 but that should not make any difference;

my AGV scanner icon in system tray is coloured as it should be; there are no updates available at present;
and google has nowt on my error message;

everything seems to be ok

I have just sent a test mesage to my default e mail address and that has been picked up by maiwasher as ok

all of AGV control centre is reading as OK
any ideas folks?

am not unduly concerned but would be curious to know what the error message is all about:)

(and yes, i did go to the right google address and not the spoof one that has been mentioned on forum::)))

BigMoFoT 09:50 10 May 2005

is a virtual device driver error. In your description should it read 'AVG' and not 'AGV'?

I'm thinking the problem could be connected to your AVG software. You could remove it and try adifferent one maybe on a trial as a process of elimination.

Chegs ® 09:51 10 May 2005

click here

Nearest I could find was a suggestion to reinstall/repair AVG 7.

p;3 09:58 10 May 2005

whilst searching for an answer myself; I went to the AVG FAQ section ; something froze and in my attempts to unfreeze, switched off AVG by accident ; interestingly I could not and cannot find AVG listed on my programs menue to restart it from there; should it be in that programs menue?

had to reboot and start again:(

DJ Supreme 10:19 10 May 2005

If your looking for a good antivirus solution, try Avast! or ZoneAlarm with Anitivirus

p;3 10:42 10 May 2005

I am happy with AVG (as are a lot on this forum); I merely wish to find out what, if anything , my error message implies :)

woodchip 10:50 10 May 2005

Can you save the Attachment then open the saved version. Try it. You may have Sober worm. May be a good IDEA to run a online check click here

click here top right corner

p;3 11:36 10 May 2005

so far all ok; however, took onboard the latest avg update then pc refused to reload my bt bb connection::((

scanned with sybot and clear; trend is clear; the item that gave me the BSOD is on my pc and saved in documents ;

maybe just "one of those things", but very odd for tower to behave in this way:(

am puzzled but may be no answer as such possible:)

woodchip 11:40 10 May 2005

have you tried the easy one???? reboot

p;3 11:51 10 May 2005

rebooted three times to eventually persuade it to connect; ran scan disc which found and cleared errors:)

maybe Sods Law here:)

woodchip 11:57 10 May 2005

if it found errors that may have cleard it. but you could put your win98 disc in and run sfc from run box to see what it finds

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?