BSOD and DVD drive not working on Dell laptop

kiwinerd 02:45 24 Jun 2009

Hi there, this is my first post.
I ran Disk Check (Chkdsk) on a well used Dell Inspiron 8600. This gave the BSOD and the laptop will not boot into Windows XP anymore. Unfortunately the DVD drive isn't working. I can access the BIOS & bootscreen where gave the option to boot from a USB stick. I tried this technique for creating a Bootable XP USB stick:
click here

All went as described but did not boot from the 2 USB sticks I tried. Whether it was the sticks or my own muckups I don't know.
Is it possible to access the laptop harddrive from my desktop throught ethernet or usb? Can anyone please offer a solution or point me in the right direction?
Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 24 Jun 2009

What error message on BSOD?

can you tap F8 during boot and boot to safe mode?

kiwinerd 00:52 25 Jun 2009

Hey Fruit Bat, thanks for the reply. I just managed to fix it last night. In a fit of pseudo nerd rage I took the dvd player out, took it to pieces & reassembled it. Somehow this let it read dvd-rw discs but not my original XP install disc. I made a boot disc using UBCD4Win it worked! After running a mixture of utilities I was able to boot back into XP. Yay!
Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?